Category:Compton Abbas

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
English: Compton Abbas is a village in north Dorset, England, situated in the Blackmore Vale next to Cranborne Chase, on the A350 road three miles south of Shaftesbury. The village has a population of 200 (2001). The village gives its name to a nearby airfield on the downs. Newcomers to the Parish in 1984 cultivated garlic in the hamlet of Twyford, since when the reported sitings of vampires within the parish have reduced considerably. The name Compton Abbas is derived from the Saxon nomenclature "cumb-ton" (meaning 'village in a narrow valley'), and "abbas" refers to the abbey at Shaftesbury (the land was owned by the abbess). The church, St. Mary's, was built in 1866 to replace the older structure which was more remote from the village.

Subcategories

This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.

Media in category "Compton Abbas"

The following 60 files are in this category, out of 60 total.