Dharamshala or Dharamsala (Hindi: धर्मशाला, pronounced [dʱərəmˈʃaːlaː] or [dʱərmˈʃaːlaː]; Tibetan: དྷ་རམ་ས་ལ་) is a city in northern India. It is the seat of the district headquarters of the Kangra district in the state of Himachal Pradesh located in the upper reaches of the en:Kangra Valley. The town is divided into two three parts — Upper Dharamsala called McLeod Ganj, the middle Kotwali Bazar and the lower Kaccheri area. McLeod Ganj is known as the residence of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama. Dharamsala houses the headquarters of the Tibetan Government in exile about two kilometers below the town of McLeod Ganj. Dharamsala is the closest one can get to Tibet while still in India. Once a British hill station, Dharamsala received an influx of Tibetan refugees after the Chinese occupation of Tibet in 1959. Today, Dharamsala is a popular destination for Indian and foreign tourists, particularly those seeking spiritual salvation.
|Object location||View all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap - Google Earth - Proximityrama|
|Location||Kangra district, Himachal Pradesh, India|
|Elevation above sea level|| |
This category has the following 12 subcategories, out of 12 total.
- ► Buildings in Dharamsala (11 C, 15 F)
- ► Dhauladhar (1 C, 77 F)
- ► Education in Dharamsala (9 C)
- ► Geography of Dharamsala (9 C, 34 F)
- ► History of Dharamsala (6 C, 1 F)
- ► McLeod Ganj (11 C, 1 P, 148 F)
- ► Nature of Dharamsala (18 F)
- ► People of Dharamsala (16 C, 15 F)
- ► Transport in Dharamsala (1 C, 3 F)
- ► Western Armenia Government in Exile (1 C)
Pages in category "Dharamsala"
The following 2 pages are in this category, out of 2 total.
Media in category "Dharamsala"
The following 12 files are in this category, out of 12 total.
- Dhauladhar mountain ranges,view from Dharamshala.jpg 960 × 720; 120 KB
- Prayer flags, Dharamsala.jpg 4,934 × 3,289; 7.15 MB
- Prayer wheel, Dharamsala.jpg 4,213 × 2,809; 7.03 MB
- Prayer wheels, Dharamsala.jpg 4,466 × 2,977; 5.73 MB
- St. John in the Wilderness Church 01.jpg 4,608 × 3,456; 3.62 MB
- St. John in the Wilderness Church 02.jpg 3,456 × 4,608; 3.37 MB
- St. John in the Wilderness Church 03.jpg 4,608 × 3,456; 3.38 MB
- St. John in the Wilderness Church 04.jpg 3,456 × 4,608; 3.41 MB
- St. John in the Wilderness Church 05.jpg 3,456 × 4,608; 3.33 MB
- St. John in the Wilderness Church 06.jpg 3,456 × 4,608; 3.26 MB
- St. John in the Wilderness Church 07.jpg 3,456 × 4,608; 3.46 MB
- St. John in the Wilderness Church 08.jpg 4,608 × 3,456; 3.17 MB