Category:Frigates of the United States
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
English: From the 1950s to the 1970s, the United States Navy commissioned ships classed as "frigates" (DL/DLG) which were actually roughly mid-way in size between cruisers and destroyers. This was similar to the use of the term "frigate" during the age of sail during which it referred to a medium-sized warship, but it was inconsistent with conventions used by other contemporary navies which regarded frigates as being smaller than destroyers. During the 1975 ship reclassification, the large U.S. Navy frigates were redesignated as cruisers or destroyers, while destroyer escorts (DE) were renamed as frigates.
This category has the following 9 subcategories, out of 9 total.
- ► Asheville class frigates (1 C, 2 F)
- ► Garcia class frigates (12 C)
- ► Knox class frigates (52 C, 8 F)
- ► Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates (59 C, 8 F)
- ► Screw frigates of the United States (4 C)
- ► Tacoma class frigates (8 C, 37 F)
Media in category "Frigates of the United States"
This category contains only the following file.