Category:Golden Hind (ship, 1577)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
English: The Golden Hind (or Golden Hinde) (pronounced /ˈhaɪnd/) was an English galleon best known for its circumnavigation of the globe between 1577 and 1580, captained by Sir Francis Drake. She was originally known as the Pelican, but was renamed by Drake mid-voyage in 1578, as he prepared to enter the Strait of Magellan, calling it the Golden Hind to compliment his patron, Sir Christopher Hatton, whose armorial crest was a golden 'hind' (the heraldic term for a female deer). Hatton was one of the principal sponsors of Drake's world voyage.
1577 galleon, flagship of Francis Drake's circumnavigation
|Location||Convoys Wharf, London Borough of Lewisham, Greater London, London, England, UK|
|Location of final assembly|
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Media in category "Golden Hind (ship, 1577)"
The following 6 files are in this category, out of 6 total.
- 1595 Vera Totius Hondius.jpg 3,281 × 2,343; 4.61 MB
- A short history of England and the British Empire (1915) (14787112633).jpg 1,500 × 1,104; 355 KB
- London - The Golden Hind Replica 1996.jpg 803 × 1,200; 131 KB
- NMMI IMG 8920.JPG 2,736 × 3,648; 3.65 MB
- NMMI IMG 8921.JPG 2,736 × 3,648; 4 MB