Category:Honeysuckle Bower by Peter Paul Rubens
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Peter Paul Rubens: Honeysuckle Bower|
Self portrait with Isabella Brandt, his first wife, in the honeysuckle bower
label QS:Lde,"Rubens und Isabella Brant in der Geißblattlaube"
label QS:Len,"Self portrait with Isabella Brandt, his first wife, in the honeysuckle bower"
Directly after his return from Italy, the 32 year old Rubens married the 18 year old Isabella Brant. This double portrait, which broke new ground in portrait painting, was purportedly done shortly thereafter. Rubens did not however give up using traditional symbolism: Honeysuckle was a well known symbol for faithfulness and hands laid over one another ("dextrarum iunctio") have symbolized matrimony since ancient times. However these references are integrated into this snapshot-like scene in which middle-class contentedness, substantial affluence and strong affection are expressed.
|Medium||oil on canvas mounted on panel|
|Dimensions||178 × 136.5 cm (70 × 53.7 ″)|
|Object history||Aus der Düsseldorfer Galerie|
Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek
Web Gallery of Art
Bildindex der Kunst und Architektur, object 00060207
self-portrait by Peter Paul Rubens
|Location||Alte Pinakothek, upper floor, gallery VII, Alte Pinakothek, Maxvorstadt, Munich, Upper Bavaria, Bavaria, Germany|
Media in category "Honeysuckle Bower by Peter Paul Rubens"
The following 12 files are in this category, out of 12 total.
- Peter Paul Rubens - Rubens en Isabella Brant in de Kamperfoelie Bower.jpg 1,506 × 2,000; 2.31 MB
- Rubens isabella brant c1610.jpg 1,000 × 1,290; 1.5 MB
- Alte Pinakothek Art (5987289696).jpg 583 × 720; 329 KB
- Peter Paul Rubens 105 1.JPG 469 × 285; 19 KB
- Peter Paul Rubens 105-Isabella-crop.jpg 240 × 615; 25 KB
- Peter Paul Rubens 105-Isabella-Kopf gesamt.jpg 3,456 × 5,184; 3.47 MB
- Peter Paul Rubens 106.jpg 2,024 × 1,575; 287 KB
- Rubens and Isabella Brant by Rubens (1609-10) - Alte Pinakothek - Munich - Germany 2017.jpg 2,664 × 3,568; 7.26 MB