Klondike is a villa in Veghel in the southern Netherlands, which functioned as the headquarters of the 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment (101st Airborne Division) during World War II. It is a listed war memorial and today functions primarily as an office for several businesses, such as a notary and a bank (e.g. Van Lanschot). The pediment of the facade features a shield of arms with the insignia of the 101st Airborne Division.
All call signs within the 101st Airborne Division, during WWII, started with "K". The 501st was referred to as 'Klondike', from which the villa took its name.
1 9 4 4
501ST PARACHUTE INF. REGT.
101ST AIRBORNE DIVISION
SEPTEMBER • OCTOBER 1944
The Klondike villa was build in 1878 in order of the De Kuyper family, and was known by the name of 'Huize Rustplaats'. In 1913 the villa was sold to doctor Verbeek, and from then it would go on functioning as a doctor's house till 1969, for several successive doctors.
During Operation Market Garden in 1944 the villa, of then doctor Kersemakers, was used as a headquarters for the 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division. Colonel Howard Johnson commanded his troops from this building.
This is a category about a war memorial in the Netherlands, number:784
Media in category "Klondike (Veghel)"
The following 8 files are in this category, out of 8 total.
- Bekroning voorgevel - Veghel - 20239998 - RCE.jpg 788 × 1,200; 188 KB
- Geronimo, Klondike - Operation Market Garden 2014 Veghel.jpg 2,000 × 1,335; 1.06 MB
- Villa Klondike - Operation Market Garden 2014 Veghel.JPG 6,016 × 4,016; 13.62 MB
- Villa Klondike - Veghel, 2014 - 2.JPG 6,016 × 4,016; 11.38 MB
- Villa Klondike - Veghel, 2014.jpg 6,016 × 4,016; 10.06 MB
- Villa Klondike.jpg 4,320 × 3,240; 4.87 MB
- Voorgevel - Veghel - 20239997 - RCE.jpg 1,200 × 788; 295 KB
- Voorgevel - Veghel - 20240002 - RCE.jpg 1,200 × 812; 283 KB