From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
English: Komainu (狛犬・胡麻犬・高麗犬, lit. Koguryo dogs ? ) — statues of pairs of lion-like creatures, seen as gate guardians (Asia)..
- Found guarding a Japanese Shinto shrine compound entrance, its inner shrine entrance, and/or inside the inner shrine (not visible to the public).
- Often called lion-dogs in English
- Other Asian gate guardian representations include:
- Category:Chinese lions — common representation of guardian lions in pre-modern China.
- Category:Shisa — cross between a lion and a dog, from Okinawan mythology.
- Category:Snow Lion — celestial animal of Tibet.
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Media in category "Komainu"
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.