Mirabai (Meerabai, Rajasthani: मीराबाई, c.1498-c.1547 AD, alternate orthographies: Meera; Mira; Mira Bai, Meera Bai) was an aristocratic Hindu mystical singer and sahajiya (apasampradaya) devotee of Lord Krishna from Rajasthan and one of the most significant figures of the Sant tradition of the Vaishnava bhakti movement. Some 12-1300 prayerful songs or bhajans attributed to her are popular throughout India and have been published in several translations worldwide. In the bhakti tradition, they are in passionate praise of lord Krishna. Details of her life, which has been the subject of several films, are pieced together from her poetry and stories recounted by her community and are of debatable historical authenticity, particularly those that connect her with the later Tansen. On the other hand, the traditions that make her a disciple of Ravidas who disputed with Rupa Goswami are consonant with the usual account of her life.
16th-century Hindu mystic poet and devotee of Krishna
|Date of birth||1498 (statement with Gregorian date earlier than 1584), 1504|
Merta City, Kudki, Kurki
|Date of death||1546 (statement with Gregorian date earlier than 1584), 1547, 1552|
|Manner of death|
|Cause of death|
|Work period (start)|
|Work period (end)|
|Country of citizenship|
|Field of work|
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.
Media in category "Meera (Mirabai)"
The following 10 files are in this category, out of 10 total.
- Indian historical Traditional drama( In stage performance -1).jpg 6,000 × 4,000; 9.16 MB
- Meera.png 616 × 800; 267 KB
- Meerabai (crop).jpg 415 × 590; 89 KB
- Meerabai 1.jpg 430 × 624; 100 KB
- Meerabai painting.jpg 1,069 × 1,412; 1.12 MB
- Meerabai palace.JPG 1,728 × 1,152; 1.01 MB
- Meerabai.jpg 800 × 1,109; 711 KB
- Mirabai and Krishna.jpg 2,640 × 1,760; 2.81 MB
- UdaipurCPM-KrishnaRadha-SDIM1666.jpg 2,640 × 1,760; 526 KB
- मीराबाई.ogg 1.1 s; 17 KB