Minerals are natural compounds formed through geological processes. The term "mineral" encompasses not only the material's chemical composition but also the mineral structures. Minerals range in composition from pure elements and simple salts to very complex silicates with thousands of known forms (organic compounds are usually excluded). The study of minerals is called mineralogy.
- Notes: this category is based on International Mineralogical Association - Commission on New Minerals, Nomenclature and Classification (IMA-CNMNC)'s Master List of Minerals. Mindat.org prefers to give the chemical formula range of a mineral as it was found in nature. The IMA-CNMNC Database of Mineral Properties prefers to give the chemical formula of the definition of a mineral as a solid solution end member. 
- References: Mindat.org, Handbook of Mineralogy (Mineralogical Society of America), Mineralienatlas, Rruff Project/ IMA and The New IMA List of Minerals – A Work in Progress – Updated: November 2020
naturally occurring usually inorganic substance that has a (more or less) definite chemical composition and a crystal structure
|Subclass of||chemical substance,|
This category has the following 40 subcategories, out of 40 total.
- Close-up photographs of minerals (4 C, 245 F)
- Conflict minerals (1 C, 5 F)
- Deposition of minerals (5 C, 1 F)
- Gem and mineral shows (1 C, 1 F)
- Industrial minerals (12 C)
- Medicinal minerals (1 C, 1 P, 2 F)
- Meteorite minerals (8 C, 2 F)
- Microscopic images of minerals (3 C, 54 F)
- Mineral collections (17 C, 172 F)
- Mineral deposits (14 C, 2 P, 22 F)
- Mineral hand samples (1 C, 88 F)
- Mineral models and diagrams (2 C, 13 F)
- Mineral processing (3 C, 10 F)
- Mineral production trends (2 F)
- Mineral sales (4 F)
- Minerals in art (16 C, 16 F)
- Natural art by minerals (3 C, 1 P, 654 F)
- Rock-forming minerals (7 F)
- Salt minerals (1 F)
- Statistics about minerals in Australia (2 C, 313 F)
- Indicator minerals (1 F)
- Phosphorescent Minerals (1 F)
Pages in category "Minerals"
The following 2 pages are in this category, out of 2 total.
Media in category "Minerals"
The following 6 files are in this category, out of 6 total.
- Crystal World & Prehistoric Journeys Exhibition Centre.jpg 4,256 × 2,832; 1.96 MB
- Edelstein-Schwibbogen Tannenbergsthal, Infotafel (1).jpg 4,000 × 3,000; 3.88 MB
- Edelstein-Schwibbogen Tannenbergsthal, Infotafel (2).jpg 4,000 × 3,000; 3.34 MB
- Mineral Ardaite at the NMNH, Bulgaria.jpg 4,160 × 3,120; 3.58 MB
- Vogelsberg Wetzberg Augitzwilling 10 XPL.jpg 1,929 × 1,286; 2.07 MB
- БСЭ1. Минерал.jpg 975 × 825; 278 KB