Built in 1889 by Daniel J. Macarty, the marble and granite, three-story, Richardsonian Romanesque bank was designed by prominent architect James G. Hill. From 1889 to 1954, the building served as headquarters of the National Bank of Washington – founded in 1809, dissolved in 1990. After the main office was moved to 621 14th Street, N.W., the building was known as the Washington Office of the National Bank of Washington. From 1990 to 2005, the building served as a branch of Riggs Bank. The current owner resulted from the merger of Riggs Bank and PNC Financial Services.