The Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company was founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1847. It was the seventh mutual life insurance company chartered in the United States. Their original Philadelphia headquarters building at the corner of Walnut and 6th Streets was a cast-iron structure that was replaced in 1913 by one designed by Edgar Seeler. This was added to on the east side in 1931, and again in 1969-710 by a glass tower at 510 Walnut Street which retained the 1838 Egyptian Revival facade of John Haviland's Pennsylvania Fire Insurance Company Building, the east portion and cornice of which was designed by Theophilus Chandler in 1901, as a stand-alone structure which serves as a screen to the building's entrance courtyard. The tower, which won on AIA Honor Award in 1977, was designed by Mitchell/Giurgola Associates. (Sources: Philadelphia Architecture: A Guide to the City (2nd ed.), "Washington Square" on USHistory.org and "Penn Mutual Tower" on PhiladelphiaBuildings.org)
Media in category "Penn Mutual"
The following 5 files are in this category, out of 5 total.