Category:Philadelphia Savings Fund Society
The Philadelphia Savings Fund Society was a savings bank headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, founded in 1816, the first savings bank to organize and do business in the United States. The Society went through a number of headquarters locations until 1840 when a new building designed by Thomas U. Walter was opened at 306 Walnut Street between S. 3rd and S. 4th Streets. The pediment, designed by James Sims, was added in 1881, after the PSFS left the building.
Then, in 1868-9, a new Italianate-style headquarters building designed by Addison Hutton of Sloan & Hutton was completed at 700-710 Walnut Street at West Washington Square. Hutton received the commission by winning a design contest, and the resulting building established his career. Additions to the building were later made in 1885-86, 1897-98 and 1930. The 1883 addition, half of the center pavilion, was designed by Hutton; the 1897 addition, the other half of the center pavilion and the west pavilion, was designed by Frank Furness of Furness, Evans & Company; the 1929-31 addition, alterations and vault rooms, was designed by Loew & Lescaze. (Sources: Philadelphia Architecture: A Guide to the City (2nd ed.), Architecture in Philadelphia: A Guide and "Washington Square" on USHistory.org)