period of artistic, literary, and intellectual movement that started in 18th century Europe
|Instance of||cultural movement,
|Subclass of||art style|
Romanticism was an artistic and intellectual movement that originated in late 18th century Western Europe. It stressed strong emotion, imagination, freedom within or even from classical notions of form in art, and overturning of previous social conventions, particularly the position of the aristocracy. There was a strong element of historical and natural inevitablism in its ideas, stressing the importance of "nature" in art and language. Romanticism is also noted for its elevation of the achievements of what it perceived as heroic individuals and artists.
This category has the following 23 subcategories, out of 23 total.
- ► Costumbrismo (10 C, 28 F)
- ► Düsseldorfer Malerschule (173 C, 52 F)
- ► National revivals (5 C)
- ► Pompeii by William Gell (3 F)
- ► Romantic images of children (6 F)
Pages in category "Romanticism"
The following 2 pages are in this category, out of 2 total.
Media in category "Romanticism"
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.
- Gone with the Wind or Sorrows of Love.jpg 1,280 × 960; 430 KB
- Grecian-Gothic neoclassical-romantic style-contrast 1816-Repton.jpg 1,123 × 850; 352 KB
- Main currents in nineteenth century literature (1906) (14589700517).jpg 1,486 × 2,080; 682 KB
- Main currents in nineteenth century literature (1906) (14773835694).jpg 1,348 × 1,820; 619 KB
- Moritz von Schwind - Genoveva.jpg 2,000 × 896; 300 KB
- Victor Hugo - La maison du chevalier de Saint-Georges à Heidelberg.png 600 × 500; 652 KB