Jump to navigation Jump to search
English: A votive deposit or votive offering is one or more objects displayed or deposited, without the intention of recovery or use, in a sacred place for broadly religious purposes. Such items are a feature of modern and ancient societies and are generally made in order to gain favor with supernatural forces. Some offerings have apparently been made in anticipation of the achievement of a particular wish, but in Western cultures from which documentary evidence survives it has been more typical to wait until the wish has been fulfilled before making the offering, for which the more specific term ex-voto may be used. Votive offerings have been described in historical Roman era and Greek sources, although similar acts continue into the present day, for example in traditional Catholic culture and, arguably, in the modern day practice of tossing coins into a wishing well or fountain. The modern construction practice called topping out can be considered as an example of a votive practice that has very ancient roots.
type of religious offering
This category has the following 10 subcategories, out of 10 total.
- ► Dedications and ex-votos in antiquity (30 C, 82 F)
- ► Muisca tunjos (5 C, 4 F)
- ► Votive tablets (1 C, 11 F)
Media in category "Votive offerings"
The following 14 files are in this category, out of 14 total.
- Ancient Greek iron knives and fibula - KAMA.jpg 4,686 × 2,065; 3.39 MB
- Kom ombos - bas relief (3109957739).jpg 589 × 760; 87 KB
- MSM - Ex voto 1.jpg 3,528 × 2,452; 3.72 MB
- Notre Dame de Vignerons.jpg 604 × 885; 869 KB
- Small Buddhist Statue at Kōtoku-in, Kamakura (Coin Offerings).jpg 3,264 × 1,840; 4.46 MB
- Some Proto-Sinaitic inscriptions.jpg 2,150 × 2,861; 925 KB
- Statue block Aat Bologna.JPG 1,328 × 1,572; 603 KB
- Votive offering sites (Scandinavia).JPG 2,048 × 1,538; 603 KB
- Wax ex-voto of horse's hoof with diseased leg. Wellcome M0001507.jpg 2,843 × 3,953; 1.67 MB
- Wax ex-voto. Hollow circular piece with bow. Wellcome M0001516.jpg 2,734 × 3,850; 1.29 MB
- Wax ex-voto. Shaped plaque. Wellcome M0001517.jpg 2,765 × 3,804; 1.4 MB