Category:Young America (ship, 1853)
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
- Type: three-masted wooden extreme clipper
- Design by:
- Order date:
- Built by: William H. Webb, New York at a total cost of $ 140.000.
- Yard No:
- Keel laid:
- Launch date: 30.04.1853
- Date of completion: 1853
- Length over all: 74 m
- LPP: m
- Beam: 13.15 m
- Draught: 8.2 m
- GRT: 1961
- NET: 1439 tons (old measurement) / 1380 (new measurement)
- Sail area: Rigged with three skysails and later re-rigged with double top-sails. The sail-plan in William Webb's Plans of Wooden Vessels, 1870, also shows a main moonsail.
- Main engine:
- Speed: kn
- Reefer points:
- 1853 Named: YOUNG AMERICA for George B. Daniels, New York Flag: United States
- 18.03.1859 Dismasted on voyage from New York to San Francisco and put into Rio de Janeiro for repairs.
- 1860 Sold to Abram Bell's Sons.
- 30.10.1862 Put into Plymouth, Great Britain, for repairs after having been dismasted in a tornado in 9°N, 32°W.
- 1865 Sold to Robert L. Taylor.
- 03.12.1868 Dismasted in a pampero off Rio de la Plata, but was re-fitted at sea instead of putting into Montevideo and continued the voyage to San Francisco under jury rig where she arrived on February 17. She was subsequently repaired for $ 18.000.
- 02.10.1870 Stranded on a reef near Cape St Roque on the Brazilian Coast, but was able to get off without serious damage after having jettisoned part of the cargo.
- 1870 Sold to George Howes & Co., New York and San Francisco.
- 1880 The fleet of George Howes & Co. was taken over by John Rosenfield, San Francisco.
- 08.1883 Put into Rio de Janeiro for repairs on voyage San Francisco to New York.
- 1883 Sold in New York to Austman of Buccari, Austria, for USD 13.500 Renamed: MIROSLAV Falg: Austria Put into the trans-Atlantic case oil trade.
- 17.02.1886 Passed the Delaware Breakwater outward bound from Philadelphia for Fiume under command of Captain Vlassich and was never heard of again. The cargo consisted of 407.306 gallons of crude oil in 9700 barrels at a total value of $26.965.
- 06.1886 The ship was officially posted missing.
Media in category "Young America (ship, 1853)"
The following 8 files are in this category, out of 8 total.