Commons:Picture of the Year/2014/Results
Two Julia Butterflies (Dryas iulia) drinking the tears of turtles in Ecuador
- Aptenodytes forsteri) in Antarctica jumping out of the water. – Attribution: Christopher Michel / Cmichel67 (flickr) (CC BY 2.0)
- Kabelleger / David Gubler (CC BY-SA 4.0)
#4: Lijiang, Yunnan, China: Nakhi people carrying the typical baskets of the region – Attribution: CEphoto, Uwe Aranas / Cccefalon (CC BY-SA 3.0)
#5:Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) jumping, in Spitsbergen Island, Svalbard, Norway. – Attribution: Arturo de Frias Marques (CC BY-SA 4.0)
#6: Horsehead Nebula (also known as Barnard 33 in emission nebula IC 434), a dark nebula in the constellation Orion. – Attribution: Ken Crawford (imagingdeepsky.com) (CC BY-SA 3.0)
#7: Rocks formations and the Dedo de Deus (God's Finger) peak in the background, at the Serra dos Órgãos National Park, Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil – Attribution: Carlos Perez Couto (CC BY-SA 3.0)
#8: Head of a Calliphora vicina, face view. – Attribution: USGS Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab (flickr) (CC BY 2.0)
#9: Pair of Mandarins (Aix galericulata), at Martin Mere, Lancashire, UK – Attribution: Francis C. Franklin / Baresi franco (CC BY-SA 3.0)
#10: A Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus) silhouetted against a fiery sunset, in the Okavango Delta, in Botswana. – Attribution: Arturo de Frias Marques (CC BY-SA 4.0)
#11: Sunrise in morning mist near Dülmen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany – Attribution: Dietmar Rabich / XRay (CC BY-SA 4.0)
#12: A U.S. Marine Corps C-130T Hercules aircraft with the Blue Angels, the Navy's flight demonstration squadron – Attribution: DoD photo by Staff Sgt. Oscar L. Olive IV, U.S. Marine Corps/Released. (flickr) (PD-USGov-Marines)
Picture of the Year 2014 Results
The 2014 Picture of the Year competition has ended and we are pleased to announce the results:
We shattered participation records this year – more people voted in Picture of the Year 2014 than ever before. In both rounds, 6698 different people voted for their favorite media files.
- In the first round, 4504 people voted for all 983 candidates.
- In the second round, 3824 people voted for the 54 finalists (the R1 top 30 overall and top 2 in each category).
In the second round – the “three votes” system was enabled for the first time this year – eligible users could vote for up to 3 finalists – each of these 3 votes counted equal.
We congratulate the winners of the contest and thank them for creating these beautiful media files and sharing them as freely licensed content:
- 547 people voted for the winner, Two Julia Butterflies (Dryas iulia) drinking the tears of turtles in Ecuador.
- In second place, 416 people voted for An Emperor Penguin (Aptenodytes forsteri) in Antarctica jumping out of the water.
- In third place, 410 people voted for High above Tocopilla, Chile, one of SQMs Boxcabs coasts downhill to the Reverso switchback.
Click here to view the top images »
We also sincerely thank to all 6,698 voters for participating. We invite you to continue to participate in the Commons community by sharing your work.
the Picture of the Year committee
- For details of the results from the 1st and 2nd rounds, see here.
- For all the 54 finalists, see here.
- POTY 2014 : Introduction – Rules – Discussion – Translations – Committee – Help – R1 Candidates / Gallery – R2 Gallery – Results