Commons:Wiki Loves Folklore 2023 in Malta
Wiki Loves Folklore is an international photographic competition to enjoy and celebrate the cultural diversity from around the World through Wikimedia projects (mainly Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons). Everybody can participate.
In Malta, we are calling on people to dive into their photo archives or visit local sites with connections of Maltese culture, folklore or storytelling and upload them to win!
The basic aim of the competition is to collect photos of human cultural diversity to illustrate articles in the worldwide free encyclopaedia Wikipedia and other Wikimedia Foundation projects. The photos provided must match the theme, including, but not limited to festivals, material culture, dances, cuisine, clothing or daily life routine emphasizing on folk culture of Malta.
To find out about all the other national competitions taking place, visit the international website.
The contest in Malta is organized by Wikimedia Community Malta, in collaboration with the international team for Wiki Loves Folklore.
There is also a writing competition running throughout March for Feminism & Folklore (more on this shortly!)
The jury will judge individual entries based on the following criteria (in no particular order):
- Technical quality
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects
Out and about
- Please be respectful and considerate to your fellow photographers, and to others.
- If you are photographing building interiors, stop straight away if you are asked to do so. Some places prohibit interior photography, but in others you may be allowed to continue if you ask for permission.
- Do not trespass on private property (it is perfectly OK, though, to take photographs while standing in a public place such as the street).
- Where possible avoid photographing vehicles, and particularly vehicle numberplates.
- Please do not upload photographs of posters, noticeboards, signs, or anything else having text or two-dimensional images that might be copyright-protected. That applies even to text or images that are in a public place and that everyone else is taking pictures of. Ancient wall paintings in churches are fine, as are photos of stained glass windows of any date.
- 1 February: The contest officially opens, and uploading of photos begins.
- 31 March: Contest closes, uploading of photos ends.
- Results Declaration: National results to be declared by end of April 2023 by Wikimedia Community Malta. International results to be declared by end of July 2023 at Wiki Loves Folklore 2023 page on Commons
(Note: Result declaration is subject to changes and may be delayed subject to unexpected circumstances.)
Take a photo and upload it to Wikimedia Commons
Make sure to enter your email address on your Wikimedia profile otherwise we may not have a way to contact you if you win one of the prizes.
You can win the following prizes in the international contest:
- 1st prize: 400 USD
- 2nd prize: 200 USD
- 3rd prize: 100 USD
- Top 10 consolation prizes: 10 USD each
- Best Video prize and best Audio prize: 25 USD, 25 USD (each)
- Top uploader prize for images: First Prize 100 USD, Second prize 50 USD
- Wiki Loves Folklore Postcards to top 100 Uploaders
Disclaimer: Prizes to be dispersed in a gift card or voucher format by International organizing team, not by Wikimedia Community Malta.
You can win the following prizes in the national contest:
- 1st prize: €200 voucher from Photocity
- 2nd prize: €100 voucher from a local book publisher (or €50 gift card from Amazon)
- 3rd prize: €50 voucher from a local book publisher (or €25 gift card from Amazon)
- Top 10 consolation prizes: Wikimedia Community Malta goody bag
- Top uploader prize: €50 voucher from a local book publisher (or €25 gift card from Amazon)
Disclaimer: National prizes subject to confirmation following award of 2023 Annual Program grant from Wikimedia Foundation.
There are several ways to contact us:
- Write us on our discussion page.
- Send us an email to mailwikimalta.org
- Communicate with us through Instagram or Twitter or Facebook
Take photosTake as many and as good photos as you can, try different angles. Even if the photo doesn't win you a prize, it may help Wikipedia!
Describe your imagesDescribe what you photographed in the image description and captions. Record the place's name, description, and date of photo.