File:Gutenberg Bible, Lenox Copy, New York Public Library, 2009. Pic 01.jpg
Original file (1,920 × 1,200 pixels, file size: 413 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
The Gutenberg Bible
[Bible, Latin Vulgate. Ca. 1455]. Biblia Latina. [Mainz: Johann Gutenberg, ca. 1455]. Rare Books Division. From the Lenox Library
The first substantial printed book is this royal-folio two-volume Bible, comprising nearly 1,300 pages, printed in Mainz on the central Rhine by Johann Gutenberg (ca. 1390s-1468) in the 1450s. It was probably completed between March 1455 and November of that year, when Gutenberg's bankruptcy deprived him of his printing establishment and the fruits of his achievements.
The Bible epitomizes Gutenberg's triumph, arguably the greatest achievement of the second millennium. Forty-eight integral copies survive, including eleven on vellum. Perhaps some 180 copies were originally produced, including about 45 on vellum. The Lenox copy, on paper, is the first Gutenberg Bible to come to the United States, in 1847. Its arrival is the stuff of romantic national folklore. James Lenox's European agent issued Instructions for New York that the officers at the Customs House were to remove their hats on seeing it: the privilege of viewing a Gutenberg Bible is vouchsafed to few.
(Shortened text copied from placard seen in the background)
|Source||originally posted to Flickr as Gutenberg Bible|
|Author||NYC Wanderer (Kevin Eng)|
(Reusing this file)
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||09:49, 3 April 2010||1,920 × 1,200 (413 KB)||Flickr upload bot||Uploaded from http://flickr.com/photo/10183029@N00/3631902258 using Flickr upload bot|
- You cannot overwrite this file.
File usage on Commons
File usage on other wikis
The following other wikis use this file:
- Usage on ast.wikipedia.org
- Usage on atj.wikipedia.org
- Usage on bar.wikipedia.org
- Usage on bg.wikipedia.org
- Usage on bh.wikipedia.org
- Usage on bn.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ca.wikipedia.org
- Usage on cs.wikipedia.org
- Usage on da.wikipedia.org
- Usage on de.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ee.wikipedia.org
- Usage on el.wikipedia.org
- Usage on en.wikipedia.org
- Usage on en.wikiquote.org
- Usage on en.wikiversity.org
- Usage on en.wikivoyage.org
- Usage on en.wiktionary.org
- Usage on es.wikipedia.org
View more global usage of this file.