File:Historic Jamestowne, Colonial National Historical Park, Jamestown, Virginia (14239013038).jpg
Original file (4,000 × 3,000 pixels, file size: 5.27 MB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
Historic Jamestowne is the cultural heritage site that was the location of the 1607 James Fort and the later 17th century city of Jamestown. It is located on the James River at Jamestown, Virginia and operated as a partnership between Preservation Virginia (formerly known as the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities) and the U.S. National Park Service.
It is adjacent and complementary with Jamestown Settlement, a living history museum built run by the Commonwealth of Virginia to interpret the early colony.
Jamestown, first established in May 1607, was the site of the first permanent English settlement in North America. Jamestown was the capital of the Virginia Colony, and saw Bacon's Rebellion in 1676, when the statehouse was burned. After a second burning in 1698, the capital was relocated to higher ground at Middle Plantation in 1699, which was then renamed Williamsburg.
By the middle of the 18th century, the land was cultivated mainly by the Travis and Ambler families. During the American Revolutionary War the area was used as a military post where American and British prisoners of war were exchanged.
In the 19th century, Jamestown Island reverted to little-used farmland, and in 1862 became the site of Doller's Point Battery, a Confederate earthworks during the American Civil War intended to protect Richmond against Union gunboats. Swann's Point Battery was a Union Army battery located Swann's Point above the mouth of Gray's Creek on the James River, opposite Jamestown Island from 1862-1865. The Ambler Farm was burned by escaped slaves, who found the desolate island to be a haven. The area then reverted to farmland until preservation efforts began at the end of the 19th century.
|Source||Historic Jamestowne, Colonial National Historical Park, Jamestown, Virginia|
|Author||Ken Lund from Reno, Nevada, USA|
|Camera location||View all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap - Google Earth|
|This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.|
|This image was originally posted to Flickr by Ken Lund at https://flickr.com/photos/75683070@N00/14239013038. It was reviewed on by FlickreviewR and was confirmed to be licensed under the terms of the cc-by-sa-2.0.|
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||16:25, 3 November 2016||4,000 × 3,000 (5.27 MB)||Ser Amantio di Nicolao||Transferred from Flickr via Flickr2Commons|
- You cannot overwrite this file.