South African War Memorial, Newcastle upon Tyne
English: Unveiled on 22nd June 1908, the South African War Memorial in Newcastle upon Tyne is dedicated to the soldiers of Northumbrian regiments that died in the Boer War in South Africa. It features a hexagonal column on a square base, with a bronze figure representing Northumbria at the base reaching up to a bronze winged victory figure at the top of the column. Sited on the northern edge of the city centre, it stands in the large paved area at the corner where the SW-NE running Percy Street meets the N-S running Northumberland Street. Directly to the north west is the Church of St Thomas the Martyr. Since 1980, it has also marked the location of the underground Haymarket station on the Tyne and Wear Metro, with the above ground station hall being sited directly to its rear (south). The Victory figure was removed during the construction of the Metro tunnels, and a recast bronze with fibreglass wings was put in its place. The original station building was a low rise brown structure; it has since been replaced with a larger glass building, the Haymarket Hub, which opened in 2010.