Commons:History merging and splitting
Shortcut: COM:HMS· COM:HISTMERGE This page provides information on issues and solutions relating pages and files that underwent cut-and-paste moves (which its history has to be put back together), and inappropriate merging/overwriting (of which its history needs to be split).
Because most users have the ability to use the move page function, cut-and-paste moves are usually done by people who are not aware of that function, or when the move function fails (e.g. because the target has history), and people who aren't aware of the Administrators Noticeboard forum to ask for help from an administrator.
When a cut-and-paste move is done, the page history of a page can be split among two or more different pages. This is very undesirable, because we need to keep the history with the content for copyright reasons. In most circumstances, administrators are able to fix this by merging page histories.
|Instructions for admins|
Special:MergeHistory makes it possible to automatically merge the history of two pages.
Over time, pages or files may change from one underlying topic to a completely separate topic. Normally, this should be accomplished through moves of pages, or by reuploading an altered file on a slightly different filename. However, if a user is unfamiliar with those processes they may simply change the subject of a page or file (overwriting the old). If this is not caught immediately it is very easy for the new topic to build up a substantial edit history of its own.
|Instructions for admins|
A history merge could also be undone in this way.
Requesting a merge or split
To request a merge or split, fill the following template, and submit it at the bottom of this page. Remember, both files need to be of the same type. Merging of more than two files may also be possible in some cases.
==== [[:FILE/PAGE 1]] → [[:FILE/PAGE 2]] ==== * Request: [Split or Merge] * Reason: --~~~~
- For merges, replace
FILE/PAGE 2with the page you want
FILE/PAGE 1contents to be merged into.
- For splits, replace
FILE/PAGE 2with the new filename which you want the newer content to be moved from
- Request: Hide the four versions that I loaded on this file
- Reason: I conducted a series of loads four years ago, whose versions do not interfere in the historic of the image and in the end I reverted to the original edition. I just want to hide these my tests, because in the historical appears that supposedly I was contributing with these loads, while in fact I was making mistakes. --HVL talk 02:48, 26 July 2014 (UTC)
- @HVL: I see nothing to split or merge and no reason to hide the other versions. Ankry (talk) 15:46, 18 August 2014 (UTC)
- Request: Split the older version (with dull lines across) to the stated title
- Reason: Different BSicon
Current admin volunteers
Administrators, please add your name here if you would like to volunteer!
- Bencmq (talk · contribs)
- Rehman (talk · contribs)
- PierreSelim (talk · contribs)
- Ankry (talk · contribs)