Category:A.J. Meerwald (ship, 1928)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Sail area - 3562 Sq Ft
|Type||Schooner (add this type to the list)|
|Built by||Charles H. Stowman & Sons, New Jersey|
|Length overall||25.9 m (28.3 yd)|
|Beam||6.8 m (22.3 ft)|
|Draft||1.8 m (70.8 in)|
- 1928 Named: A.J. MEERWALD for the Meerwald family of South Dennis Flag: United States
- 1942-06 The Maritime Commission commandeered the A. J. Meerwald under the War Powers Act. She was turned over to the US Coast Guard who outfitted her as a fireboat, most of her sailing rig being removed.
- 1947-01 Returned to the Meerwalds.
- 1947-09 Sold to Clyde A. Phillips who used her as an oyster dredge under power.
- 1959 Sold to Cornelius (Nicky) Campbell who outfitted her for surf clamming. She operated primarily as a clam dredge.
- Late 1970's Retired
- 1989 Donated to the Schooner Project
- 1995 The A. J. Meerwald was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
- 1998 Earth Day, the A.J. MEERWALD was designated New Jersey's official tall ship by Governor Christine Whitman.
- 2002: Delaware Bay Schooner Project becomes the Bayshore Discovery Project.
|Location||New Jersey, United States of America|
Media in category "A.J. Meerwald (ship, 1928)"
This category contains only the following file.
- AJ Meerwald Cape May Harbor.jpg 1,944 × 2,592; 1.98 MB