Category:B. Altman Fifth Avenue building
The B. Altman & Company Building at 351-57 Fifth Avenue from East 34th to 35th Streets, through to 188-89 Madison Avenue, was built in stages from 1906-1913, designed by Trowbridge & Livingston in Italian Renaissance style. Altman's was the first big department store to make the move from the "Ladies' Mile" shopping district, where the dry goods emporia had been located, to Fifth Avenue. The neighborhood was still primarily residential at the time, and the design of the new building was planned to fit in with the palatial mansions around it. Following Altman's example, the other big stores followed and made the move uptown as well. The store closed in 1989, and was vacant until 1996, when the exterior was restored by Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer and the interior reconfigured by Gwathmey Siegel & Associates for the City University of New York Graduate Center on the Fifth Avenue side, the New York Public Library's Science, Industry and Business Library on the Madison Avenue side, and the Oxford University Press. (Source: AIA Guide to NYC (4th ed.) and Guide to NYC Landmarks (4th ed.))
Media in category "B. Altman Fifth Avenue building"
The following 13 files are in this category, out of 13 total.