The Bowery Mission, located at 227-229 Bowery between Rivington and Stanton Streets in The Bowery neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, provides food, shelter, medical services and employment assistance to poor homeless men. It was founded in 1879 by the Reverand Albert Gleason Ruliffson and his wife, and was the third rescue mission established in the United States and the second in New York City. The building at 227 Bowery was designated a New York City landmark on June 26, 2012. It was built in 1876 for James Stolts, an undertaker and manufacturer of coffins, and was designed by William Jose in the neo-Grec style. It was altered in 1908-09 for the Mission's use by Marshall L. and Henry G. Emery, who added the stained-glass windows on the second floor and remodeled the interior of that floor into a chapel in the Gothic Revival style. (Source: Designation report)
Media in category "Bowery Mission"
The following 6 files are in this category, out of 6 total.
- Bowery Mission 227-229 Bowery stained-glass windows.jpg 635 × 439; 85 KB
- Bowery Mission 227-229 Bowery.jpg 2,096 × 2,590; 1.27 MB
- Boweryrm.jpg 200 × 363; 17 KB
- Christian herald and signs of our times (1896) (14583956380).jpg 3,022 × 2,846; 1.84 MB
- Christian herald and signs of our times (1896) (14746022356).jpg 2,984 × 4,019; 2.47 MB
- New york bowery.jpg 4,320 × 3,240; 2.99 MB