Category:Coromandel (ship, 1853)
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
- Wooden hulled paddle steamer
- Launched 7th Jul.1853
- Built by Thomas and Robert White, Cowes, I.O.W
- Gross tons: 293
- 1853 Named: TARTAR for P & O Line.
- 1855-08-28 sold to the Admiralty for service as a despatch vessel and renamed COROMANDEL.
- 1859 sunk in action against the Peiho forts but raised, repaired and returned to service.
- 1866 sold to R. Byrne & Co, Hong Kong.
- 1867 sold to Kishu, Japan renamed NARUTO.
- 1868 sold to Glover & Co, Hong Kong.
- 1869 converted to screw propulsion.
- 1870 Following the bankruptcy of her owners, sold to Wright & Co, Nagasaki.
- 1870 sold to Iwatani Shozo, Japan but resold to Hunt & Co (Netherlands Trading Society, managers), Japan and extensively repaired.
- 1876 sold to shipbreakers at Yokohama having been idle for some time. Reported to have been riddled with white ants.
Media in category "Coromandel (ship, 1853)"
This category contains only the following file.
- HMSCoromandel1860.jpg 177 KB