Jump to navigation Jump to search
Deutsch: miniatur|Girton, St. Andrews
English: Girton is a village of about 1,600 households, and 4,500 people in Cambridgeshire, England. It lies about two miles to the northwest of Cambridge, and is the home of Cambridge University's Girton College, which was moved there from a previous site in Hertfordshire in 1872. Girton has a long history as a village — people were living there before Saxon times. The old name for Girton was Gretton, meaning 'village on the gravel', so called because the settlement grew up along a gravel ridge. The three oldest parts of the village are found by St Andrews Church, at Duck End and by Huntingdon Road. The village is also home to a rare variant of the grey squirrel — the black squirrel.
Nederlands: Girton is een dorp (village en civil parish) in het Engelse graafschap Cambridgeshire. Het dorp ligt in het district South Cambridgeshire en telt 3752 inwoners.
village in Cambridgeshire, England
|Location||South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, East of England, England, UK|
|Said to be the same as||Girton (Wikimedia duplicated page, civil parish)|
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Media in category "Girton, Cambridgeshire"
The following 16 files are in this category, out of 16 total.
- Binfield, Girton.jpg 640 × 426; 62 KB
- Churchfield Court - geograph.org.uk - 660732.jpg 640 × 459; 69 KB
- Girton Post Office - geograph.org.uk - 667054.jpg 640 × 480; 63 KB
- Girton Village Sign - geograph.org.uk - 660742.jpg 539 × 640; 82 KB
- Girton village sign.JPG 2,112 × 2,816; 1.43 MB
- Girton war memorial (geograph 5554960).jpg 2,592 × 3,872; 2.85 MB
- High Street, Girton, Cambs - geograph.org.uk - 90049.jpg 640 × 480; 354 KB
- Shops in Thornton Way - geograph.org.uk - 1436625.jpg 640 × 480; 78 KB
- St Margaret's Road, Girton - geograph.org.uk - 667065.jpg 640 × 480; 60 KB
- Thatched cottage, High Street - geograph.org.uk - 667056.jpg 640 × 480; 80 KB
- The Old Crown, Girton - geograph.org.uk - 660666.jpg 640 × 480; 51 KB
- The Old Crown, Girton.jpg 3,072 × 2,048; 4.1 MB
- Weather Vane, Thornton Road - geograph.org.uk - 1436600.jpg 480 × 640; 41 KB
- Wheat field - geograph.org.uk - 1329529.jpg 640 × 480; 113 KB
- Woodlands Park - geograph.org.uk - 667058.jpg 640 × 480; 118 KB