Jump to navigation Jump to search
English: Ishi (1860s—1916) — a renowned Californian Native American man.
- Ishi lived most of his life completely outside modern culture. In 1911, at about 49 years of age, he emerged from his ancestral mountain homeland, after his last relatives died. Most of his remaining five years were lived in a University of California building located in urban San Francisco.
- Ishi was the last member of the Yahi, a band of the Yana people indigenous to the central Sierra Nevada in northern California, and the last speaker of the Yana language.
last of Yahi people
|Date of birth||c. 1860 (circa)|
|Date of death||25 March 1916|
University of California, Berkeley
|Native language|| |
|Award received|| |
Media in category "Ishi"
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.
- Ishi 1914.jpg 940 × 1,220; 172 KB
- Ishi portrait.jpg 933 × 1,282; 156 KB
- Ishi, The Last Wild Indian.jpg 2,599 × 3,500; 11.42 MB
- Ishi.jpg 637 × 626; 115 KB
- Ishiquiver.jpg 215 × 607; 17 KB
- PSM V86 D242 Ishi the last of the yahi tribe.jpg 754 × 1,932; 156 KB
- PSM V86 D243 Ishi at the present time 1915.jpg 1,598 × 1,320; 399 KB