Category:Isle of Whithorn
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
English: Isle of Whithorn is one of the most southerly villages and seaports in Scotland, lying on the coast, north east of Burrow Head, about three miles from Whithorn. Whithorn, (Taigh Mhàrtainn in Gaelic), is a former royal burgh in Dumfries and Galloway, with which the Isle of Whithorn is frequently incorrectly amalgamated or confused. It lies about thirteen miles south of Wigtown. The village is the location of the long ruined 13th century Saint Ninian's Chapel, previously a chapel linked to Whithorn Priory and a stopping off point for pilgrims landing on Isle Head and making their way to Whithorn. No longer a true island, John Ainslie's maps as late as 1782 and 1821 do show the Isle as an island. The main street was originally a causeway, with the harbour located on what was then the true Isle.
This category has the following 5 subcategories, out of 5 total.
Media in category "Isle of Whithorn"
The following 59 files are in this category, out of 59 total.
- Port Rosnait.jpg 1,003 KB