Jump to navigation Jump to search
English: Jan Provoost, or Jean Provost, or Jan Provost (1462/5, Mons–January 1529, Bruges) was a Flemish painter. He was one of the most famous Netherlandish painters of his generation, a prolific master who left his early workshop in Valenciennes to run two workshops, one in Bruges, where he was made a burgher in 1494, the other simultaneously in Antwerp, which was the economic center of the Low Countries. Provoost was also a cartographer engineer and architect. He met Albrecht Dürer in Antwerp in 1520, and a Dürer portrait drawing at the National Gallery, London, is conjectured to be of Provoost. He married the widow of the miniaturist and painter Simon Marmion, after whose death he inherited the considerable Marmion estate.
painter from the Southern Netherlands (1465-1529)
|Date of birth||1465 (statement with Gregorian date earlier than 1584)|
|Date of death||1529 (statement with Gregorian date earlier than 1584)|
|Country of citizenship|
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.
- ► Google Art Project works by Jan Provoost (1 C, 1 F)
- ► Paintings by Jan Provoost (14 C, 59 F)
Pages in category "Jan Provoost"
This category contains only the following page.
Media in category "Jan Provoost"
The following 5 files are in this category, out of 5 total.
- Fierens-Gevaert - La Peinture en Belgique, volume 1 (page 341-1 crop).jpg 1,909 × 1,316; 1.65 MB
- Jan provoost, madonna col bambino in un paesaggio, 1510 ca. 02.jpg 3,648 × 5,052; 10.56 MB
- Jan provoost, madonna col bambino in un paesaggio, 1510 ca. 03 vaso di fiori.jpg 3,040 × 5,472; 8.21 MB
- Jan provost, annunciazione e santi (ali di altare), 1510 ca..JPG 3,380 × 2,328; 4.56 MB
- The Crucifixion MET DT8851.jpg 3,034 × 3,722; 3.97 MB