Jump to navigation Jump to search
is a transcontinental region centered on Western Asia and Egypt in North Africa
|Instance of||geographic region|
- The term originally applied to the late 17th century maximum extent of the Ottoman Empire (SE Europe, W Asia, NE Africa).
- Since the early 20th century, Near East and Middle East have been approximately synonymous but historians tend to limit the Near East to areas of the Middle East in Western Asia that are bordering the eastern part of the Mediterranean Sea and of the Red Sea (Anatolia, Levant, western part of the Arabic Peninsula, Sinai Peninsula) — excluding Mesopotamia (Iraq, Iran), Causasus, southern and eastern parts of the Arabian peninsula (bordered by the Indian Ocean and the Persic Gulf).
This category has the following 9 subcategories, out of 9 total.
- ► Arabian Peninsula (19 C, 1 P, 256 F)
- ► Cyprus (26 C, 2 P, 260 F)
- ► Sinai Peninsula (47 C, 1 P, 386 F)
Media in category "Near East"
The following 8 files are in this category, out of 8 total.
- Near east lrg.jpg 2,987 × 3,967; 2.62 MB
- Ancient near east 540 bc.gif 1,248 × 692; 66 KB
- Its Most Beautiful Gesture.jpg 960 × 576; 128 KB
- JordanRiver pl.svg 1,084 × 1,371; 803 KB
- Magni Turcarum Dominatoris Imperium per Europam, Asiam, et Africam.jpg 8,197 × 6,559; 20.51 MB
- Turukki, Hubey, Montclair State University.png 671 × 239; 22 KB