From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
- The term originally applied to the late 17th century maximum extent of the Ottoman Empire (SE Europe, W Asia, NE Africa).
- Since the early 20th century, Near East and Middle East have been approximately synonymous but historians tend to limit the Near East to areas of the Middle East in Western Asia that are bordering the eastern part of the Mediterranean Sea and of the Red Sea (Anatolia, Levant, western part of the Arabic Peninsula, Sinai Peninsula) — excluding Mesopotamia (Iraq, Iran), Causasus, southern and eastern parts of the Arabian peninsula (bordered by the Indian Ocean and the Persic Gulf).
This category has the following 9 subcategories, out of 9 total.
- ► Arabian Peninsula (20 C, 1 P, 127 F)
- ► Cyprus (27 C, 2 P, 906 F)
- ► Sinai Peninsula (40 C, 1 P, 206 F)
Media in category "Near East"
The following 4 files are in this category, out of 4 total.
- Near east lrg.jpg 2.62 MB