upper house of the Parliament of India
|Instance of||upper house|
|Part of||Parliament of India|
|Applies to jurisdiction||India|
|Has part or parts|
The Rajya Sabha (Hindi: राज्य सभा, Kannada: ರಾಜ್ಯಸಭೆ, Malayalam: രാജ്യസഭ, Tamil: மாநிலங்களவை, Telugu: రాజ్యసభ – meaning the Council of States) is the upper house of the Parliament of India. Membership is limited to 250 members, 12 of whom are chosen by the President of India for their expertise in specific fields of art, literature, science, and social services. These members are known as nominated members. The remainder of the body is elected by state and territorial legislatures. Terms of office are for six years, with one third of the members retiring every two years. The Rajya Sabha meets in continuous session and, unlike the lower house of parliament, the Lok Sabha, is not subject to dissolution. The Rajya Sabha shares legislative powers with the Lok Sabha, except in the area of supply, where the Lok Sabha has overriding powers.
This category has the following 6 subcategories, out of 6 total.
Media in category "Rajya Sabha"
The following 11 files are in this category, out of 11 total.
- BJP Rajya sabha Alltime seats.png 800 × 600; 21 KB
- Electoral College Indien.de.svg 646 × 604; 534 KB
- India Rajya Sabha Dec 2017.svg 360 × 343; 23 KB
- K. Rahman Khan and Rajya Sabha secretary-general.jpg 587 × 387; 76 KB
- Rajya Sabha Updated April 2022.svg 360 × 185; 19 KB
- Rajyasabha.svg 302 × 120; 183 KB
- Vinay Dinu Tendulkar - BJP - Goa.jpg 720 × 1,280; 45 KB
- Vinay Tendulkar, MP Rajya Sabha.jpg 750 × 755; 46 KB
- Vinay-Tendulkar-Bjp-Goa.jpg 720 × 1,280; 54 KB