Category:St. John the Baptist Church (Manhattan)
The Roman Catholic Church of St. John the Baptist, a French Gothic edifice at 207 West 30th Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, was built in 1872 and designed by Napoloen LeBrun. The church, the second organized in New York City to serve the German community, had two pervious homes, the first a wooden building on West 31st Street (opened 1840, burned down 1847), and the second at 125 West 30th Street (closed by the Archdiocese of New York in 1870). In 1871 the Archdiocesed placed the church under the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin. (Sources: From Abyssinian to Zion (2004), AIA Guide to NYC (4th ed.) and ) The Capuchin Monastery connected to the church is at 210 West 31st Street, ZIP 10001.
This category has only the following subcategory.
Media in category "St. John the Baptist Church (Manhattan)"
The following 11 files are in this category, out of 11 total.
- Detroit Publishing - New Pennsylvania Station, New York, N.Y..jpg 9,328 × 7,282; 11.94 MB
- New York (6988907972).jpg 2,304 × 3,456; 5.35 MB
- Penn Station3.jpg 900 × 635; 126 KB
- St Jean the Baptiste Church interior.JPG 2,448 × 3,264; 1.39 MB
- St. John Hall St. John the Baptist Church.jpg 1,531 × 2,304; 859 KB
- St. John the Baptist Church and St. John Hall.jpg 1,171 × 2,304; 707 KB
- St. John the Baptist Church steeple.jpg 1,419 × 2,282; 753 KB
- St. John the Baptist RC Church.jpg 1,447 × 2,189; 657 KB