Commons:Picture of the Year/2013/Introduction
The tungsten filament burning with a flame in the light bulb.
Attribution: Stefan Krause, Germany (License: FAL 1.3).
#7: President Barack Obama jokingly mimics U.S. Olympic gymnast McKayla Maroney's "not impressed" look while greeting members of the 2012 U.S. Olympic gymnastics team in the Oval Office, November 15, 2012. (Official White House photo by Pete Souza.) – Attribution: Official White House Photo (Flickr) by Pete Souza; edited version by El Grafo (License: PD)
Picture of the Year 2013 Results
- In other languages: Deutsch, español, français, 日本語, Nederlands, русский, svenska, Türkçe, українська
Dear Picture of the Year/2013,
The 2013 Picture of the Year competition has ended and we are pleased to announce the results: We shattered participation records this year — more people voted in Picture of the Year 2013 than ever before. In both rounds, 4070 different people voted for their favorite images. Additionally, there were more image candidates (featured pictures) in the contest than ever before (962 images total).
- In the first round, 2852 people voted for all 962 files
- In the second round, 2919 people voted for the 50 finalists (the top 30 overall and top 2 in each category)
We congratulate the winners of the contest and thank them for creating these beautiful images and sharing them as freely licensed content:
- 157 people voted for the winner, an image of a lightbulb with the tungsten filament smoking and burning.
- In second place, 155 people voted for an image of "Sviati Hory" (Holy Mountains) National Park in Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine.
- In third place, 131 people voted for an image of a swallow flying and drinking.
We also sincerely thank to all 4070 voters for participating and we hope you will return for next year's contest in early 2015. We invite you to continue to participate in the Commons community by sharing your work.
the Picture of the Year committee