video2commons is a tool to upload videos from a url to Wikimedia Commons, it automatically converts the video to a Commons compatible format. It includes functions such as removing audio, subtitles, video; these are all imported by default. The tool uses OAuth to login.
How it works
- Visit https://video2commons.toolforge.org and login
- Press "Add task…"
- Choose the video you want to convert
- If you do not want audio, video or subtitles, unselect import options
- Fill in the template for file description and add categories
- The conversion will start on the cloud:
- the first step will show a loading bar
- the second step will show a advancement bar, with an indication of the percentage remaining
- The converted video is automatically uploaded to Commons
Note that you cannot upload a file if there is an existing description page on Commons by that name.
You can close your browser while the task is ongoing, since the conversion is made on the server, not on your computer.
You can also add more tasks. They will be added to the queue and published when done.
- An exception occurred: TaskError: File already exists. Please choose another name.
- Meaning: It means that there is a video file with exactly the same name as the file you are trying to upload. It is probably the same video. Check for possible redundancy and if it is not the same video, choose a new name.
- An exception occurred: TaskError: /mnt/nfs/labstore-secondary-project/gentoo-prefix/usr/bin/ffmpeg -y -i /srv/v2c/output/b4a696bee515adb1/dl.mp4 -max_muxing_queue_size 4096 -threads 16 -row-mt 1 -crf 20 -qmin 1 -qmax 51 -b:v 0 -vcodec libvpx-vp9 -tile-columns 4 -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 25 -speed 4 -f webm -ss 0 -an -pass 1 -passlogfile /srv/v2c/output/b4a696bee515adb1/dl.mp4.vp9.webm.log /dev/null Exitcode: 1
- Meaning: First pass of transcoding to webm failed
- An exception occurred: TaskError: pywikibot.Error: APIError: stashfailed: Internal error: Server failed to publish temporary file. [help:See https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/api.php for API usage. Subscribe to the mediawiki-api-announce mailing list at <https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-api-announce> for notice of API deprecations and breaking changes.]
- Meaning: Video was transcoded, uploaded and assembled. But publishing was not successful
- An exception occurred: DownloadError: ERROR: KTvdqve_naM: "token" parameter not in video info for unknown reason; please report this issue on https://yt-dl.org/bug . Make sure you are using the latest version; see https://yt-dl.org/update on how to update. Be sure to call youtube-dl with the --verbose flag and include its complete output.
- Meaning: Downloading of video with youtube-dl from the internet failed
- Failed to determine the path of the downloaded video. Is the video too large?
- Meaning: ?
- An exception occurred: <tvar name="1">WorkerLostError<tvar name="1">: Worker exited prematurely: signal 9 (SIGKILL).
- Meaning: transcoding of video was killed because of limited ressources of the computer running the software
- An exception occurred: TaskError: pywikibot.Error: TimeoutError: Maximum retries attempted without success.
- Meaning: uploading, or assembling or publishing took to long. aborted
- An exception occurred: <tvar name="1">FileNotFoundError<tvar name="1">: b"[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/data/project/video2commons/video2commons/frontend/static/uploads/73c147e0-19ea-11ed-9b40-82d0630f66a4'"
- Meaning: ?
Sites that work
The tool uses youtube-dl to parse websites for video files and obtain associated information. New sites can be added by adding 'extractor' files to that tool. Some sites will work without needing a dedicated extractor file.