Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2021 in Rwanda
Wiki Loves Earth 2020
Wiki Loves Earth (WLE) is an international photographic competition to promote natural sites around the World, through Wikimedia projects (mainly Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons). Everybody can participate.
There are a lot of natural areas in all participating countries. The goal of Wiki Loves Earth is to encourage people to take pictures of those sites and to put them under a free licence to allow others to access them through the Internet. To achieve that, an international contest is taking place in July 2021. This website presents the Rwandese segment of this competition.
For the full list of participating countries, you may wish to visit the WLE international homepage at http://www.wikilovesearth.org/
The goal of the contest is to put online as many pictures of recognised natural areas of Rwanda, including its flora and fauna, during the months of 1st May-1st July 2021 on Wikimedia Commons in order to share them, for free, with the world.
All pictures will be donated to Wikimedia Commons under a free licence, so they can be used freely around the world. Wikimedia Commons is an online repository hosting free multimedia content. Wikipedia relies solely on Commons as its media repository.
In May-June, you can upload as many pictures as you want of the recognized natural areas that you have visited, or representative flora or fauna species. Pictures don't have to be taken in June, but must be uploaded that month to be considered for the contest. Starting on 1st May-1st July, the contest's Rwandan jury will begin evaluating the photographs, and awarding prizes for the best pictures in Rwanda, in the first week of that month. The Rwandan jury will then select the 10 best from Rwanda to be sent to the international jury.
Local Contest (Rwanda):
- 1st winner:150$
- 2nd Winner:80$
- 3rd winner:60$
- 4th Winner:50$
- 5th Winner:30$
You can participate in the Wiki Loves Earth contest by taking suitable pictures and uploading them to Wikimedia Commons during the months of May-June 2021. For the picture to be eligible, you can take it anytime, as long as you have taken it yourself and you upload it to Commons in June by using the appropriate form.
Rules to be eligible to the contest:
- You must be the original photographer, and upload the photo yourself.
- You must identify the location or species depicted in the picture.
- You must accept to put your picture under the license CC-BY-SA 4.0 (details).
As a start, you may refer articles about Rwanda's national parks, protected areas, wildlife sanctuaries, and also its endemic birds, endemic mammals, amphibians, and reptiles, in order to identify photographed subjects, or potential subjects.
How to participate
- Decide what you want to photograph/upload
- To be eligible for the Wiki Loves Earth contest, you must first confirm that the photograph is of a natural area, or identified flora or fauna. Different types of natural areas are eligible such as national parks, protected area, etc. If you already have such photographs, it is not important when you took them, it is only important that you upload them between June 1st and July 31st.
- Take the photograph
- Here are some advice to augment your chances to win the contest:
- Adjust your camera to the highest resolution. Take several photographs of the natural site. Later choose the best pictures or upload them all if they are all good.
- Remember what natural areas that you photographed because you will be required to identify them at the moment of uploading the pictures.
- Make sure that the photographs are pertinent to represent the natural areas. For example, a photograph of cars in the parking of a national park doest not represent the natural park, but photographs of landscapes, wildlife, lakes, mountains, etc are all pertinent.
- Make sure to respect the rules of the park where you are.
- Upload your pictures
- First, you need to have a Wikimedia account. The same account is good for all Wikimedia projects, including Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons. It is totally free.
- Second, use the link below while you are logged in to upload your pictures (the big red button in the next section)
- Make sure to clearly describe what the photograph portrays in English. You may also add descriptions in any other languages.
- Also, it is good to note that better categorisation and depicts statements increases the visibility of your photos.
- Geo-coded images are always welcomed.
For more contact the organizing team in Rwanda .Email : email@example.com .facebook: WikiRwanda .Instagram: WikiRwanda . Telephone:+250789162892
Previous Winning Photos
File:Mountain gorilla from Susa Group in Karisimbi thicket of Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda
Photo by Emmanuelkwizera
File:An aerial of Nyabarongo River from Nyungwe National Park to River Nile
Photo by Emmanuelkwizera