File:Side entrance to Oxford Retreat 1920 (3191725908).jpg

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Original file(2,996 × 2,408 pixels, file size: 903 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)

Structured data


Add a one-line explanation of what this file represents


English: Persistent URL:,1420
Subject (TGM): Women's education; Buildings; Asylums; Dormitories; Theaters; Hotels; Universities and colleges;
Location: Oxford, Ohio
The building was built in 1856 to house the Oxford Female College and, from 1867, as the Oxford Hotel. The Retreat was run by Dr. Harvey Cook, for whom Cook Field is named. It served as an asylum for drug addicts and patients with nervous and mental disorders from 1882 until it's purchase by Miami in 1925. The building was renamed Fisher Hall in 1927 and served mainly as a dormitory, site for the Miami University Theatre and storage facility until its demolition in 1978.
Author Snyder, Frank R.
Flickr: Miami U. Libraries - Digital Collections
(Reusing this file)

At the time of upload, the image license was automatically confirmed using the Flickr API. For more information see Flickr API detail.

Flickr sets
  • Photographs of Frank R. Snyder
Flickr tags
  • Women's education
  • Buildings
  • Asylums
  • Dormitories
  • Theaters
  • Hotels
  • Universities and colleges
  • snyder photographs
  • miami university libraries
  • miami digital collections
  • history of miami university
  • oxford ohio


This image was taken from Flickr's The Commons. The uploading organization may have various reasons for determining that no known copyright restrictions exist, such as:
  1. The copyright is in the public domain because it has expired;
  2. The copyright was injected into the public domain for other reasons, such as failure to adhere to required formalities or conditions;
  3. The institution owns the copyright but is not interested in exercising control; or
  4. The institution has legal rights sufficient to authorize others to use the work without restrictions.

More information can be found at

Please add additional copyright tags to this image if more specific information about copyright status can be determined. See Commons:Licensing for more information.
Public domain
This work is in the public domain in the United States because it was published (or registered with the U.S. Copyright Office) before January 1, 1924.

Public domain works must be out of copyright in both the United States and in the source country of the work in order to be hosted on the Commons. If the work is not a U.S. work, the file must have an additional copyright tag indicating the copyright status in the source country. PD-1923Public domain in the United States//
Checked copyright icon.svg This image was originally posted to Flickr by Miami U. Libraries - Digital Collections at It was reviewed on 2015-03-13 09:51:15 by FlickreviewR, who found it to be licensed under the terms of the No known copyright restrictions, which is compatible with the Commons. It is, however, not the same license as given above, and it is unknown whether that license ever was valid.

File history

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

current09:40, 13 March 2015Thumbnail for version as of 09:40, 13 March 20152,996 × 2,408 (903 KB) (talk | contribs)== {{int:filedesc}} == {{information |description={{en|1=Persistent URL: [,1420,1420] :Subject (TGM): Women's education; Buildings; Asylums; Dormitories; Theaters; Hotels; Universi...
  • You cannot overwrite this file.

There are no pages that use this file.