- Go to Flinfo.
- Enter the URL of the picture. If you only know the picture ID (typically some number) and the repository, enter the ID and choose the repository in the drop-down menu.
- Click on "Get Info". Flinfo will respond either
- with some error text if the image could not be found, or is not suitable for the Commons because it is not freely licensed, or, in the case of Flickr, because the Flickr user is on our blacklist. In that case, stop and do not upload the image to the Commons.
- with an automatically generated image description, ready to be pasted into the (old) upload form at the Commons. In this case, continue.
- Click "Download original size" and save the picture to your local hard disk.
- Click "Open upload form" (requires that you are logged in at the Commons). Copy the image description from Flinfo into the Commons' upload form.
- On the Commons' upload form, select the image you downloaded to your hard disk.
- Change the destination file name if necessary.
- Check the image description by using "Preview". Change it as appropriate. Trim down very long descriptions, especially if they sound like PR blurbs or advertisements. Check the categories, and if necessary improve them.
- Upload the picture.
- You're done.
- For more help ask at Commons:Help desk or at User talk:Flominator/Flinfo.
Flinfo can extract image descriptions for images from
- Mushroom Observer
and a number of minor other repositories.
For advanced users
Administrators and trusted users
If you want to have further control of Flinfo's output, you can use one or more of these parameters when calling it:
- categories: list of categories the picture should have (separated by semicolons)
- destfile: upload filename (without .jpg)
Please keep in mind, that setting one of these parameters will prevent Flinfo from taking the information for this field from Flickr.
Source code is available at https://gitlab.com/flinfo/flinfo under GPL2+.