Category:HMS Unicorn (ship, 1824)
- Designed as Leda class frigate, 150 feet long in the hull and armed with 46 guns. Their lines were based on a French frigate, the Hébé, captured in 1782.
- Keel laid in February 1822 on No. 4 slip in the Royal Dockyard at Chatham
- Launched on 30th March 1824
- 1824 Named HMS Unicorn Roofed over immediately and laid up in reserve
- 1857 to 1862 Lent to the War Department for use as a powder hulk at Woolwich
- 1862 Laid up again at Sheerness.
- November 1873 UNICORN sailed for Dundee in tow of HM Paddle Sloop SALAMANDER, conversion to a Drill Ship for the Royal Naval Reserve Berthed in the Earl Grey Dock
- 1906 Taken over by the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
- 1939 Renamed HMS Unicorn II, as the name Unicorn was given to a new aircraft carrier
- 1941 Renamed HMS Cressy as having two ships named UNICORN created great confusion with mail and drafting
- After World War II taken over by the Royal Naval Reserve. During both World Wars she played an important part as the Area Headquarters of the Senior Naval Officer, Dundee.
- 1959 Renamed HMS Unicorn by Mrs. Keay, widow of Captain W. F. Keay who had commanded UNICORN throughout the war, after the aircraft carrier had been scrapped
- 1961 The Admiralty decided that the ship should be scrapped. At the last moment, Captain Anderson, a former Captain of Unicorn, succeeded in having this decision changed
- 1962 Moved down river to a new berth
- 1967 Captain Stewart started a move to ensure her permanent preservation
- 1968 Formation of the Unicorn Preservation Society, chaired by Lord Dalhousie
- 26th September, 1968, Prince Philip accepted HMS Unicorn from the Navy on behalf of the newly formed Society.
Leda-class sailing frigate
|Location||Dundee, United Kingdom|
Media in category "HMS Unicorn (ship, 1824)"
The following 20 files are in this category, out of 20 total.
- City Quay and 'the Unicorn' - geograph.org.uk - 10870.jpg 640 × 480; 104 KB
- Dundee. - geograph.org.uk - 74724.jpg 640 × 439; 262 KB
- Dundee. - geograph.org.uk - 74725.jpg 640 × 440; 300 KB
- Frigate Unicorn, Victoria Docks - geograph.org.uk - 1138918.jpg 427 × 640; 197 KB
- HM Frigate Unicorn - geograph.org.uk - 1316856.jpg 640 × 480; 70 KB
- HM Frigate Unicorn, from the stern - geograph.org.uk - 1316939.jpg 640 × 480; 69 KB
- HMS Frigate Unicorn - geograph.org.uk - 1169196.jpg 640 × 480; 58 KB
- HMS Unicorn bell 1529.JPG 2,272 × 1,704; 892 KB
- HMS Unicorn close up (cropped version).jpg 1,728 × 1,728; 1.84 MB
- HMS Unicorn.jpg 1,536 × 1,152; 730 KB
- HMS Unicorn1.jpg 763 × 575; 89 KB
- Hms-unicorn-close-up.jpg 2,464 × 1,728; 2.16 MB
- RRS-Discovery-in-Victoria-Dock-Dundee-1986-1.jpg 4,988 × 3,318; 15.47 MB
- The Unicorn - geograph.org.uk - 1316930.jpg 640 × 480; 50 KB
- Unicorn, Frigate Unicorn - geograph.org.uk - 1138919.jpg 427 × 640; 211 KB
- Victoria Dock, Dundee - geograph.org.uk - 394042.jpg 387 × 640; 61 KB