Category:Hill stations in India
Hill stations in India is a term used for a town usually at somewhat higher elevations in colonial Asia, particularly in British India (British Raj), where towns have been founded by European colonial rulers up where temperatures are cooler, as refuges from the summer heat. In the Indian context most hill stations are at an altitude of approximately between 1,000 and 2,500 metres (3,500 to 7,500 feet); very few are outside this range. The British Raj, and in particular the British Indian Army, founded perhaps 50 of the 80-odd hill stations in the Indian subcontinent; the remainder were built by various Indian rulers over the centuries as places of leisure or even as permanent capitals. Several hill stations served as summer capitals of Indian provinces, Princely States, or, in the case of Shimla, of British India itself. Since Indian Independence, the role of these hill stations as summer capitals has largely ended, but many hill stations remain popular summer resorts in tourism.
This category has the following 8 subcategories, out of 8 total.
Pages in category "Hill stations in India"
The following 3 pages are in this category, out of 3 total.
Media in category "Hill stations in India"
The following 105 files are in this category, out of 105 total.
- Abu gurushikhar.jpg 10.55 MB
- Beautiful Nainital Lake.jpg 1.22 MB
- Chirimiri.jpeg 10 KB
- Chirmiri.jpeg 10 KB
- Devyansh4.jpg 2.34 MB
- Dharamsala beauty.jpg 1.15 MB
- Dhauladhar mountain ranges.jpg 1.61 MB
- Enroute betab valley.jpg 338 KB
- Exquisite sunset.jpg 109 KB
- Hill of Devgadh Baria.jpg 6.98 MB
- Hill station of ajaygarh.jpg 527 KB
- Hill Station- Ooty.jpg 3.17 MB
- Hutatpapikondalu.jpg 6.71 MB
- Kangchenjunga from Gangtok.jpg 3.45 MB
- Katra jammu.jpg 3.69 MB
- Majestic dhauladhar.jpg 1.36 MB
- Matheran Waterfall.jpg 5.33 MB
- Mcleodganj peaks.jpg 1.58 MB
- Mcleodganjmt.jpg 2.83 MB
- Misty between moist.jpg 3.99 MB
- Morni.jpg 72 KB
- Mt. Abu.jpg 6.07 MB
- Munnar Tea Garden.jpg 783 KB
- One of scenic view.jpg 1.41 MB
- Ooty Aerial view.JPG 2.46 MB
- Ooty aerial view.JPG 2.5 MB
- PanchmarhiLake~2.jpg 515 KB
- River Ravi, Dalhousie.jpg 1.54 MB
- SAZI 03.jpg 6.25 MB
- Shimla nature landscape.jpg 1.28 MB
- Shimla ridges.jpg 986 KB
- Shimla train.jpg 375 KB
- Shivpuri.jpg 3.68 MB
- Sikkim hills.jpg 115 KB
- Theog Landscape in winter.jpg 3.38 MB
- Theog Town.jpg 112 KB
- Triund campsite.jpg 20.92 MB
- View from shimla ridge.jpg 554 KB
- Wilsonhill.JPG 497 KB
- Winter afternoon at Khajjiar.jpg 2.49 MB
- Yakk in hadimba temple.jpg 768 KB