The Paradesi Synagogue is the oldest still operational synagogue in the Commonwealth of Nations located in Kochi, Kerala, in South India. It was built in 1568 by the Malabar Yehudan (Cochin Jewish) community in the Kingdom of Cochin. Paradesi is a word used in several Indian languages, and the literal meaning of the term is "foreigners", applied to the synagogue because it was historically used by "White Jews", a mixture of Jews from en:Cranganore (Kodungallur), the Middle East, and European exiles. It is also referred to as the Cochin Jewish Synagogue or the Mattancherry Synagogue. The synagogue is located in the quarter of Old Kochi known as Jew Town, and is the only one of the seven synagogues in the area still in use. The Mattancherry Palace temple and the Mattancherry synagogue share a common wall.
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Media in category "Paradesi Synagogue"
The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.
- Cochin Jewish Inscription.JPG 700 × 492; 61 KB
- India-7543 - Flickr - archer10 (Dennis).jpg 2,448 × 3,264; 4.51 MB
- India-7561 - Flickr - archer10 (Dennis).jpg 2,448 × 3,264; 4.47 MB
- India-7564 - Flickr - archer10 (Dennis).jpg 2,448 × 3,264; 4.27 MB
- La synagogue Pardesi (Cochin, Inde) (13744586725).jpg 1,567 × 1,179; 1.13 MB
- La synagogue Pardesi (Cochin, Inde) (13744590185).jpg 1,605 × 1,173; 1.22 MB
- La synagogue Pardesi (Cochin, Inde) (13744627683).jpg 1,773 × 1,169; 1.88 MB
- Paradesi synagogue cochin.jpg 4,000 × 3,000; 2.79 MB
- Paradesi synagogue cochin2.jpg 4,000 × 1,988; 1.58 MB