Category:Rock shelters of Bhimbetka
This is a category about ASI monument number N-MP-225.
The Rock shelters of Bhimbetka compose an archaeological site and World Heritage Site located in Raisen district in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. The Bhimbetka shelters exhibit the earliest traces of human life in India; a number of analyses suggest that at least some of these shelters were inhabited by man for in excess of 300,000 years. Some of the South Asian Stone Age rock paintings found among the Bhimbetka rock shelters are approximately 32,000 years old. The name Bhimbetka is associated with the historical figure, Bhima, from the epic Mahabharata. The word Bhimbetka is said to derive from Bhimbaithka, meaning sitting place of Bhima, a hero-deity renowned for his immense strength.
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Bhimbetka rock paintings (1 C, 49 F)
Media in category "Rock shelters of Bhimbetka"
The following 38 files are in this category, out of 38 total.
- Bhim baithka cave.JPG 6.05 MB
- Bhimbetaka Cave.JPG 3.59 MB
- Bhimbetka (1).JPG 2.09 MB
- Bhimbetka 01.jpg 288 KB
- Bhimbetka 02.jpg 188 KB
- Bhimbetka 03.jpg 129 KB
- Bhimbetka 04.jpg 424 KB
- Bhimbetka rock shelter trees.jpg 1.65 MB
- Bhimbetka rock shelters.jpg 2.33 MB
- Bhimbetka rocks.jpg 952 KB
- Entrance of bhimbetka.jpg 1.41 MB
- Entrance to the Cave.jpg 429 KB
- Frog Rock Carved by Nature.JPG 1.81 MB
- Homo erectus sculpt.JPG 2.61 MB
- Rock Shelter 1.jpg 762 KB
- Rock Shelter 2.jpg 505 KB
- Rock Shelter 3.jpg 511 KB
- Rock shelter 7.jpg 644 KB
- Rock shelter.jpg 380 KB
- Rock Shelters 5.jpg 704 KB
- Rock Shelters.jpg 568 KB
- Statue of a man at Bhimbetka.jpg 2.05 MB
- THE TORTOISE IN STONE.jpg 760 KB
- Way to rock shelter 12.jpg 506 KB