Commons:Structured data/Get involved/Tools
Many Commons tools, gadgets, bots and workflows might be affected if these want to also work with structured metadata on Wikimedia Commons.
The transition of affected tools is mainly tracked on Phabricator.
- See the main task at phabricator:T173971.
- A Google spreadsheet collects more than 100 tools that have been identified as being useful for Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata and GLAM. Anyone can add input and comments there.
- The table below lists the tools that are selected as being important, and/or that have potential for Structured Commons, and that are actively tracked.
- Want to help others with this transition? Add your user name + interests/skills at the bottom of this page.
Prioritization survey, December 11-22, 2017
It is difficult to measure actual usage of tools (see Phabricator:T178834: Provide any rough metrics for tool and project usage), so the Structured Commons team has initiated a short survey to prioritize community tools for Commons and Wikidata. Participate in the survey here.
- While not ideal, input collected via the survey help the Structured Commons team understand which functionalities are most important to the community, and which tools will need support in the conversion to structured data.
- All Our Ideas is a funky survey environment (yes, you can keep clicking endlessly). We are aware of its imperfections. Still, the more input we get, the better.
If you think important tools are still missing: add them to the spreadsheet. They can still be added to this survey and/or included in the further process.
This survey closes on Friday, December 22, at 16:00 UTC.
Actively tracked tools
|Tool name / code repository||Maintainer||What it does||Main category||Tracked / issues||Status|
|Pattypan / Github||Yarl||Mass upload to Commons via spreadsheets||Upload||phabricator:T181057 / Github issue||Not started yet|
|QuickStatements2 / code||Magnus Manske||Bulk editor for structured data||Bulk editing||phabricator:T181062 / Bitbucket issue||Not started yet|
|Commons Android app / Github||Contributors||Smartphone app that shows nearby Wikidata items lacking a P18 image, and allows users to take a picture, write multilingual descriptions, select appropriate categories (with suggestions based on geolocation/history/text, and upload it to Wikimedia Commons, automatically setting the P18.||Upload||phabricator:T181136||Not started yet|
|LrMediaWiki plugin for Adobe Lightroom / Github||Hasenläufer||Open source plugin for Adobe Lightroom; one of the frequently-used upload tools to Wikimedia Commons||Upload||phabricator:T181224||Not started yet|
|Tool name / code repository||Maintainer||What it does||Main category||Phab / issue||Not started yet|
- Commons:Upload tools
- All tools on Toolforge
- Hay's tools directory - search for Commons
- Magnus' visual alternative to Hay's tool directory - select Commons tools
Contact for support
- SandraF (WMF) (talk) - community liaison for Structured Commons. Not a programmer myself, but I can ask around and try to enlist help for specific technical questions.