Commons:Structured data/Get involved
Previously ways to get involved
Keep in touch
- Sign up for the newsletter!
- #wikimedia-commons-sd webchat
- Previous newsletter editions
- Ask questions to the team in the next IRC office hour: Thursday, 10 January 2019 at 18:00 UTC, in #wikimedia-office webchat
Help with translations
If you want to help translate information and updates about this project to your own language, sign up on the translators page.
Requests for input
- Join the (experimental) community focus group, to provide regular input. This group is not for decision-making, but for smaller conversations and consultations.
- Join the discussion on structured data models
Current requests for input:
- Listing Commons tools, bots and workflows that will be affected by Structured Data on Commons, and discuss with developers to make the transition as smooth as possible (phabricator:T173971)
- Help collect interesting Commons files that will be interesting from a data modelling point of view (phabricator:T173979)
For cultural institutions (GLAMs)
- Please consider joining the GLAM focus group for this project!
Past requests for input
- Computer-aided tagging design consultation (October 2019)
- Captions beta testing (December 2018)
- Structured licensing statements (November 2018)
- Review a prototype for searching structured Commons (October 2018)
- "Good coverage" for depicts tagging (September 2018)
- Review and discuss mockups for displaying the new metadata section of the file page (18 September - 9 October 2018)
- Depicts statements draft requirements (14 August - 31 August 2018)
- Identify Wikidata properties that Commons will need (26 June - 14 August 2018)
- Multilingual captions and the file page (22 May - 07 June 2018)
- GLAM metadata and ontology mapping (19 April - 4 May 2018)
- First discussion on structured licensing and copyright (15 March - 02 April 2018)
- Ontology discussion (what goes where) (15 February - 01 March 2018)
- Design for multilingual captions in UploadWizard (23 January - 07 February 2018)
- Renaming 'captions' and 'descriptions' (Feedback request ran from December 11, 2017 till January 3, 2018)
IRC office hours
The Structured Commons team holds Internet Relay Chat (IRC) office hours to discuss the project as it develops. The discussions are public and are logged for future reference.
- Log for 18 July 2019
- Log for 10 January 2019
- Log for 01 November 2018
- Log for 04 October 2018
- Log for 26 June 2018
- Log for 13 February 2018
- Log for 21 November 2017
- Log for 20 November 2014
- Log for 16 October 2014
- Log for 03 September 2014
Here are some in-person discussions held with community and team members about this project.
- GLAM pilot projects workshop - Wikimedia Conference 2018 in Berlin (Slides | Notes | Spreadsheet with potential pilot projects)
- Design discussion at Wikimania — Montréal 2017 — August 12, 2017 (Notes)
- Structured Data Bootcamp — Berlin 2014 — October 6-10, 2014 (Slides | Notes)
- Multimedia Roundtable — Wikimania 2014 — August 10, 2014 (Slides | Notes)
- Structured Data Roundtable — Wikimania 2014 — August 7, 2014 (Slides | Notes)
Metadata cleanup drive
A lot of the existing metadata on Commons needed to be cleaned up in preparation to the move to structured data. In 2014, a File metadata cleanup drive was initiated to improve this.