Commons:Wiki Loves Monuments 2012/Tools/123POI
123POI Wiki Loves Monuments is a mobile app provided by 123POI as part of the MairDumont media group as a sponsor. The app is based on an existing framework 123POI with additional branding and functionality for Wiki Loves Monuments. It's avaliable for iPhone and Android and uses the data from our monuments database.
Files uploaded: Category:Uploaded_with_123poi_app.
- Find a monument nearby (based on a dump of our database)
- the 123POI database uses geo-coding functionality so we will see also monuments that don't have coordinates in the Wikipedia list yet
- Find a monument by category (predefined types of buildings), add your own category (will be filtered by keyword)
- Search a monument
- View the monument on a map
- Add a photo and upload
- Registration and upload to a 123POI server first, daily batch transfer of the images to Commons by a batch user account but with author and description as in our database.
- rating, email etc.
- four languages: English (default), German, French, Spanish depending on your device language.
The app will be developed further in the next weeks - please provide us with your feedback here, thank you!
Current information: the app contains 600.000 monuments from our database. The process of Geocoding will take some more days. When we performed our first tests (feedback below), geocoding of data was around 20% completed. If an item has already coordinates in our lists/database, these coordinates will be taken. For some countries ((Romania, Poland, Hungary, Russia), the geocoding failed undfortunately due to a non-perfect Bing API ;-). In order to avoid user distraction, 123POI decided not to show these monuments in the app.
- Please a link between the app feel-back and this page
- In French version replace "Davantage" by "Plus" or "Paramètres"
- There should be a link between de POI and its page in wikipedia
- In the French version, from de detail of a PIO if you choose the "itinéraire" button a website in German is open (should be in French).
- Problems with the localization of monuments at Toulouse.
- In French version "Davantage" a lot of section return "not found"
- Android version don't work at all in Israel. He return "not found" for every clicking - and when I try to use the map, it crash the app. --Itzike (talk) 20:48, 25 August 2012 (UTC)
- I can't install the app on my Huawei Sonic U8650 with Android 2.3.6; it says "app not compatible with your device"... why? -- CristianCantoro (talk) 12:27, 26 August 2012 (UTC) 11:04, 26 August 2012 (UTC)
- Having the same problem - also Android 2.3.6, but using a Samsung GT-S5360. - Andre Engels (talk) 05:23, 27 August 2012 (UTC)
- Same for me. can not install on my Android 2.3.6, Samsung GT-S5570.-- -- Nasir Khan Saikat (Talk|Contributions) 08:09, 28 August 2012 (UTC)
- Same here: This app is incompatible with your Samsung GT-S5570 Michiel1972 (talk) 21:09, 28 August 2012 (UTC)
- I and other people from Wikimedia Italia would like to help and translate the app in Italian -- CristianCantoro (talk) 12:27, 26 August 2012 (UTC)
- In Canada, the iPhone app sometime finds one monument (the Biosphere), but most of the time, error message "No POIs found nearby, Try another search term." Benoit Rochon (talk) 19:12, 31 August 2012 (UTC)
Thank you for your Feedback! Please understand that some features can't be implemented immediately and some bugs have to wait to be fixed. That is caused by prioritization and complexity of every single point.
- Comment 2: Fixed with Version 1.1.2
- Comments 1, 3, 4: We have written your requirements into our product backlog.
- Bug 1: Can you further describe what that means? If the monuments are shown in wrong place please check if the geocode of the monument (not the address) is correct. We just use geocode data that Wiki provides.
- Bug 2: We will fix the "not found" errors asap.
- Bug 3: Do you mean that there are no monuments found? Could you tell us the exact wording of the error? Probably there are no monuments available. Please check if Wiki provides your area with monuments. Regarding the map crash: could you tell us which Smartphone/OS you use? Is there a specific error message shown?
- Bug 4: We are not quite sure why you can't download the app. Google himself makes a restriction for your devices, but it does not tell us why. We are looking for one of the devices you called us. If we will find one, we will try to debug it.
- Bug 5: Ongoing. We appreciate your help!
- Bug 6: The number of search results depends on how many POIs Wiki provides us with. If there are no monuments, we can't show them and we have to return "No POIs found nearby". Maybe you will find some monuments at other places nearby. You can changeyour location by klicking on the button on the home-tab.
- Neitram 1: Due to technical complexity we decided in agreement with wikimedia to use our proprietary single sign-on service.
- Neitram 2: As mentioned above, unfortunately the effort for such a solution is too big.
- Neitram 3: Thank you for your suggestion, we will implement this idea definitely. Since we can not offer this feature this year, we just have integrated a few days ago the possibility to upload your pictures via WLAN
In any case I would not feel comfortable giving my wikimedia login credentials to an unknown "signonservice". --Neitram (talk) 07:48, 13 September 2012 (UTC)I now understand that the app uploads all photos to Commons using a batch account, not my account. I wonder whether it allows me to enter "[[User:Neitram]]" as my name, so at least I can make a connection of my photos to my user name via that? --Neitram (talk) 08:09, 13 September 2012 (UTC)
- A feature request to resolve this would be: do not require the user to create a new account at signonservice.com. Let the user select from three options: a) I already have an account on Commons, b) I want to create a new account on Commons, c) I want to use the batch account. In no case should the creation of a new account on a third party site be necessary just in order to upload one's photos to Commons. --Neitram (talk) 10:16, 13 September 2012 (UTC)
- Another feature request for a future version: make the app work in offline mode. I imagine an offline mode like this: While online, download map and monument data of the area around me into a cache -- e.g. of all of Bavaria, or everything within 50 km of my location. Later, when I'm offline, let the app work using this cached data. And when I'm online again, let me upload the photos. --Neitram (talk) 07:48, 13 September 2012 (UTC)
- In Switzerland we excluded all photos uploaded with this tool because they were in low quality and the user was not identifiable (we need to have at least an email of the user). --Ilario (talk) 19:27, 30 October 2012 (UTC)