The following cases will be considered insufficient description:
- the description does not state, what can be seen on the picture (e.g. only the location where the photo was taken)
- the description is incompletely focused on one detail (just one centered peak, or: an alpine lake, but not valleys and mountains surrounding it, or: looking down on a city, but not given on which peak it was shot)
- the description is too rough (a mountain range instead listing all the tops (from left to right))
We will do identification of (including categorization at Commons):
- for any mountain image:
- name of mountain, both for: mountain seen on the image?, and standing on which peak? - that's the mountain's panorama
- height - you may need that for your local version of en:Category:Eight-thousander e.a. assorting mountains by height (we do not have at Commons by now, just Eight-thousander)
- mountain range to sort in, see Category:Mountain ranges, esp. Category:Mountains by mountain range
- type of mountain, see Category:Landforms
- position of photo taken, including Geocoding, point of the compass (which side of the mountain, or looking to which direction on faraway landscapes)
- and for details:
- interesting lesser scale landforms, see Category:Rock formations
- huts, lakes, valleys and so on, seen the image which should be named in the image's description, see Category:Places
- geology and identification of botany, so see Category:Rocks for types of rock and Category:Ecozones for ecological aspects
- alpine wheather and optical phenoma, unusual light or whether conditions should also be described, see Category:Weather phenomena and Category:Atmospherical optics
So see also:
- Mountain puzzle, gallery with some more information added, sorted by continent an mountain range
- Category:Mountain puzzle with all tagged images, mostly unsorted
- Undocumented see eg. Category:Mountains/Category:Mountain ranges/Category:Peaks, that is where our colleagues put pictures with mountains the quick&dirty way - tidy up!
- Peak or position known, but nothing else will be sorted Category:Mountain puzzle
- Mountain range known, peaks unknown see also Category:Unidentified mountains assorted by mountain range – you are welcome to add subcats for any mountain range you like (or dislike)
- Mountain range unknown see also Category:Unidentified landscapes, Category:Panoramics of mountains
- Peak known, but direction seen unknown see also Category:Media lacking a location
- Geology unknown see also Category:Unidentified rocks and minerals – do this for geological interesting formations only, just for material will be done by identifying the mountain's range (e.g. Limestone Alps, Volcanoes of Kamchatka, ..)
- Category:Unidentified maps, maybe you find some mountain maps you'd like to identify
Please do not add:
- pictures showing only details, which will make it impossible to better describe it.
- pictures missing other necessary or recommended entries like author, license.
- pictures not having a description in your preferred language. If you cannot translate, somebody else will; if you can, just do it – or join your local mountain puzzle section
- A rule of thumb
Anybody who knows the place and sees the picture should be able (with the help of a suitable map) to add information to the description. If this is not the case, don't add the picture here.
Australia and Oceania
Alps / Alpen
near Passo di Croce Domini?