Wiki Loves Monuments 2014 in Aruba
The photography Contest Wiki Loves Monuments was first held in 2010 in the Netherlands. In 2011 the competition was expanded to 18 countries in Europe, reaching a total of 167,000 photos by Wiki loves monuments which won the Guinness World Record for the largest photography competition in the world. In 2012 the competition went global with the participation of over 30 countries. In 2013 the competition welcomed new countries,and Aruba participated for the first time. This year for the second time Aruba will also be part of the fifth edition of Wiki Loves Monuments contest This year the contest is expected to grow even more. This year for the first time Aruba will also be part of the Wiki Loves Monuments 2014.Last year after a whole month of competition Aruba received a total of 258 pictures from 30 participants. The local jury selected 13 finalists; 10 from category 1 and 3 from category 2, only the pictures from category 1 were nominated for the international competition. On november 29th Stichting Monumentenfonds Aruba organized an Award ceremony at the Archaeological museum to announce the winners and award the prizes. This year we expect the national competition to grow even more.
The basic rules for this contest are as follows:
- Photographs must be of an Aruban Monument.
- The photographs must be uploaded under free license.
- Pictures Must be uploaded between September 1st and 30th.
- The uploader must be the author of the participating picture.
- Participation is free and open to everybody.
There's no limit of the number of images that you can upload.
How to upload your monuments pictures and participate
There are two ways of how you can participate:
- Participants can upload their pictures on Wiki Commons by clicking on the icon or "Upload photo" text in the right column at List of monuments of Aruba.
- To upload your picture you need to create an account on Wiki Commons if you do not have an account yet.
Jury and Criteria
- A jury consisting of three members will determine the winners based on the following Criteria:
- Technical quality (sharpness, use of light, perspective etc.);
- Usefulness of the image for Wikipedia and Stichting Monumentenfonds Aruba
- 1st Prize a Pearls set from he collection of Colombian Emeralds
- 2nd Prize a ticket to Caracas from Insel Air
- 3rd Prize a Weekend stay at La Cabana Beach Resort and Casino
- Colombian Emeralds, Insel Air, La Cabana Beach Resort and Casino, Caribbean Surveying and Civil Solutions, CHS Technical Services
Red Sail Sports, Pelican Adventures and Islander Grill Aruba.
A monument is an element, building or place that represents a great historical, cultural or architectural heritage and is protected by law.
“A monument is (…) something special, and it is so special that we shared its value. Each monument is unique and distinguishes itself through its exceptional size, its individual character and detailing, a monument is a familiar landmark in an ever changing environment, and it tells us something about the social, economic and cultural history of a country or region. Monuments are a part of our past, give identity to a place, and consequently have significant sentimental value.”
Source: Monumentenwacht Nederland
Monuments of Aruba
List of monuments of Aruba