More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Do not claim work as your own when it is not
You uploaded File:Northgate (Seatla superkvartalo) kun la butikaro.jpg with a claim that it is your own work, which it clearly was not. In fact, it was a scaled-down version of a file we already have: File:Seattle - Northgate map.jpg. You cannot grant a license on someone else's work. Please do not claim to own and license images that are not yours to license. - Jmabel ! talk 02:26, 29 March 2016 (UTC)
- Sorry! I am not sure how to get needed modified versions of existing images authorized then. The uploader or whatever the program is called that I was shuttled through did not offer an opportunity to explain the changes made, nor to specify the source (though of course it was obvious). My understanding, though, was that if the file was in the Commons it was available for modification per the indicated licenses. The source files are all public domain. My intention was precisely to leave my work in the public domain, but the program had no place to note public domain. If I failed to say it was "my work" (which the modifications were) then it would not allow me to upload it. Clearly I could use more of a tutorial than I've discovered to date. --Haruo (talk) 06:27, 30 March 2016 (UTC)
- And it wasn't just a scaled down version of the same file; it had text added to show the location of "Northgate" (the shopping mall) within "Northgate" (the neighborhood complex). I think I actually have the right to add text of my own to a public domain file and call it my product. Although by putting it in the Commons I relinquished the rights as far as compensation or control went. I wish you hadn't expunged it. --Haruo (talk) 07:27, 30 March 2016 (UTC)
Similarly for File:Ravenna-Bryant (Seatlaj kvartaloj Seatla kvartalo).jpg. - Jmabel ! talk 02:30, 29 March 2016 (UTC)
- Again, I put a fair amount of work into combining the two separate graphics files into one. It was in fact my work (based, of course, on two public domain files originally from the City Clerk's Office). And I do not understand how you can say it was not, since Commons didn't have a Ravenna-Bryant map (at least that I could find) until I added it. It had a Ravenna map and a Bryant map, and I spliced them at the cost of some labor and sweat. --Haruo (talk) 07:31, 30 March 2016 (UTC)
- I didn't merge the Ravenna-Bryant map, for just that reason, but I did indicate where it came from.
- Upload may not let you do what I did, but you can edit after the fact, just like I did.
- If you think my handling of File:Northgate (Seatla superkvartalo) kun la butikaro.jpg was wrong, feel free to bring it up for deletion review. I didn't notice that you'd added one word to the picture. If you had acknowledged your source and indicated what you had changed from the source, then of course I would have been aware of the one small change. - Jmabel ! talk 15:21, 30 March 2016 (UTC)