Hello, everyone. It's come to my attention recently that a lot of galleries have been growing very large. This has happened for a few reasons that I can identify:
- Commons has continued to grow in number of uploads per day.
- Categories change over time, and users are not monitoring their galleries, so unrelated junk gets stuck into the gallery.
This presents serious problems for Commons:
- It causes scripts to slow down (e.g., rename scripts)
- The gallery pages won't load in the browser anyway
- Mediawiki developers have warned that very large galleries might again break Commons altogether (it already happened once).
- It confuses and frustrates newcomers (e.g., "why are my pictures of a tree in Germany present on a gallery for railroads in Japan?").
As such, I've made some large changes today.
- No gallery can ever have more than 1000 uploads per page, no exceptions. This will be enforced on the software level.
- I expect users to regularly watch their galleries. If I see galleries which it looks like no one is watching, and they are gathering a lot of cruft, I reserve the right to delete the galleries on the spot. I have always reserved this right, but I am enforcing it now.
What does this mean for you?
- Please watch your galleries. If you are regularly seeing inappropriate files in your galleries, post a note on the talk page. Better yet, use Category Files Blamer to find out the root cause, and ask for that category to be excluded.
- If you are seeing a note from my bot, you probably want to shorten the duration of each gallery (e.g., from 10 days per page to 5 days).
- Some large galleries (e.g., Watercraft) will fail when there is an especially large number of uploads in a given day. At this point, there is nothing I can do about this; I will work on a technical solution if it occurs a lot.
Other talk content
Tram transport gallery too large
Hi, I've just received a message on my talk page that User:Darkweasel94/Tram transport has grown too large and I should make a request for changing it.
This is almost certainly because two days ago, I myself bulk-uploaded a large number of files, most of which were related to tram transport; it doesn't surprise me that this would cause this particular gallery to explode. However, this is an unusual occurrence – I generally do that about twice a year, so it does not present a problem with that gallery overall. Changing the gallery to create a new page daily would probably solve the problem, but I don't think this is really necessary; large single-topic bulk uploads can happen to almost any gallery.
However, I also do not actually use this gallery anymore, meaning that I personally would not mind having it removed if no one else is using it. I will be linking this discussion on the talk page of the gallery so that anyone who is watching it can post their thoughts here. If no one posts here, I do not care what happens to it. darkweasel94 09:51, 14 July 2016 (UTC)
- @Darkweasel94: I might try to create a technical solution for edge cases like this. This is more logistically confusing than it sounds. Magog the Ogre (talk) (contribs) 02:04, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
- Perhaps one solution would be to have the bot, in those cases where it currently fails, instead create a new page and continue the gallery there, so that each page is still below 1000 images? (So in my case, there would be a separate page for July 13–20, which would also be linked on the overview page.) Just a suggestion, no idea if I'm overlooking anything. darkweasel94 05:54, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
- Something very similar just happened for User:darkweasel94/Vienna. There were apparently a few bulk uploads in the last days (including my own, previously mentioned) that summed up to too many files. I don't use this one anymore either myself (in fact, the only one I'm still watching is User:darkweasel94/novaj interesaj fotoj), but I'm 90% sure that other people are watching and using it (@Herzi Pinki: I think you once wrote that you're using it, care to chime in here?). Maybe in this case lowering the amount of days to e.g. 5 or even 3 would be a good idea because that's a category where bulk uploads probably happen more frequently, but as above, I personally don't have a stake in it. darkweasel94 09:36, 17 July 2016 (UTC)
- Hi, you're right, I'm using User:darkweasel94/Vienna almost daily. But it is no problem for me to look at some alternate page with same (similar) content. I'm interested in Vienna & attached images.
- If there are a lot of images a single day, it is difficult to open the subpage of User:darkweasel94/Vienna at all. Sometimes I do open the corresponding section for the day in edit-mode from the adresse-line. Which only gives me the images of a single day. It is not only you that does bulk uploads, there are some others, so I agree that it makes sense to split the page from 10 days to less. I just know a configuration to create a subpage for each single day, not for 3 or 5 days. But I feel comfortable with anything below 10 days.
- Anyway, Magog the Ogre, it would be smart to do a split also when an overflow happens, independent from configuration. --Herzi Pinki (talk) 13:08, 17 July 2016 (UTC)
- Thanks for your input! As this seems to already be causing usability issues for users of the gallery anyway (apart from the bot itself not liking it):
- Please change this:
* Category:Vienna | User:Darkweasel94/Vienna | 200x200 NO_INDEX | Category:Monuments and memorials to Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk | Category:Psychoanalysis
- to this:
* Category:Vienna | User:Darkweasel94/Vienna | 200x200 DAYS_PER_GALLERY(3), NO_INDEX | Category:Monuments and memorials to Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk | Category:Psychoanalysis
Langeln Open Air 2016
Could you please add:
All logos in Category:logos, retroactive galleries
@Magog the Ogre: This is a bit of an unusual request/qustion, which may require some..."work" by you to actually do, which is why I understand if you may decline to do this. COuld it be possible to create gallerypages of all images in Category:Logos (retroactivly), one per day. Like 2012-01-01 - 2016-07-17 would be 1659 galleries, if atleast one image was uploaded each day. This way I could more easially go through the entire category for copyvio-logos, and keep track on which days are yet to check etc. Josve05a (talk) 13:49, 17 July 2016 (UTC)