Hampi (Kannada: ಹಂಪೆ hampe) is a village in northern Karnataka state, India. Hampi is located within the ruins of Vijayanagara, the former capital of the Vijayanagara empire. Predating the city of Vijayanagara, this village continues to be an important religious centre, housing the Virupaksha Temple. The village of Hampi contains several other monuments belonging to the old city. It extends into some of the old ceremonial streets of Vijayanagara. The Vijayanagara ruins are listed as the Group of monuments at Hampi as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The name is derived from Pampa, which is the old name of the Tungabhadra River on whose banks the city is built. The name "Hampi" is an anglicized version of the Kannada Hampe which formed the cores of the capital of the Vijayanagara empire from 1336 to 1565. Recently the Archaeological Survey of India has been conducting continuous excavations in the area to discover more artifacts and temples.
|Object location||View all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap - Google Maps - Google Earth - Proximityrama|
Important sites at and near Hampi
- Achyutaraya Temple/Tiruvengalanatha Temple
- Akka Tangi Gadda
- en:Anjeyanadri Hill
- Aqueducts and Canals
- Archaeological Museum at en:Kamalapura
- Badava Linga
- Chandramauleshwar Temple
- The Kings’ balance
- The Underground Temple
- Category:Tungabhadra River
- Uddana Veerabhadra temple
- Ugra Narasimha
- en:Virupaksha Temple
- Vittala temple
- Yeduru Basavanna
- Yentrodharaka Anjaneya temple
- en:Zenana enclosure
- Madhavan Palace with above 10,00,000 pillars
- Sasivekalu Ganesha
- Elephant's Stable
This category has the following 10 subcategories, out of 10 total.
- ► Anjaneya Hill (1 C, 5 F)
- ► Culture of Hampi (1 C, 7 F)
- ► Hemakuta Hill (1 C, 3 F)
- ► Kishkindha (3 C, 3 F)
- ► Maps of Hampi (3 F)
- ► Nature of Hampi (5 C)
- ► People of Hampi (3 C, 7 F)
- ► Rock formations at Hampi (2 C, 90 F)
- ► Tungabhadra River in Hampi (3 C, 76 F)
Media in category "Hampi"
This category contains only the following file.
- Hampi-Old-And-New.jpg 3.39 MB