Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2023 in Ireland
Wiki Loves Earth Ireland 2023 is the 4th edition of Wiki Loves Earth in Ireland.
Participants will take pictures of local natural protected areas, and upload them to Wikimedia Commons. The aim of event is to highlight the Irish natural heritage across the island of Ireland with the goal to encourage people to capture pictures and to put them under a free licence which can the be re-used not only in Wikipedia but everywhere by everyone.
Join us contribute free-licensed photographs of Irish natural heritage! Find your local protected areas in Leinster, Munster, Ulster and Connacht
How to participate
1. Explore Ireland
2. Choose a protected area
3. Take pictures
4. Upload them to Commons
5. Do it again and again
Take photosMake as many and as good photos as you can, try different angles. Even if the photo doesn't win a prize, it may help Wikipedia!
Describe themWrite down what you photographed. Record the site's name, description, coordinates and date of photo.
Upload to CommonsUpload your images to Wikimedia Commons between 1st June to 31st July 2023. Create an account, if you don't have one already.
How can I participate?
Create a user account: If you do not have a user account for the Wikimedia projects, you can create one here: Create account
- It is possible to do this without including an email address. However, email addresses are needed for notifying winners, and allowing us to contact you to ensure that your photo is eligible. Email addresses are not visible to WLE organisers nor to others.
Find a subject: In Wiki Loves Earth, only photos that were taken within a protected area, including close-ups of a species (plant or animal) found in that area, are eligible.
- Take a look at last years winners below for some inspiration! Find your local protected areas in Leinster, Munster, Ulster and Connacht. These are lists of areas including National Parks, Special Areas of Conservation, and Ramsar Sites, which are of national or international importance. Many will have Wikipedia articles, or be listed on the NPWS website including details of the important flora and fauna found there.
Go out and photograph! With this competition we want to capture the beauty of nature without endangering it. So please ensure that you adhere to the rules of behaviour in the protected area.
- Do not destroy plants, for example to have a clearer view, and try to disturb animals as little as possible. If you want to take photos with a drone, you must know the local regulations and adhere to them. If you have received special permission to enter an otherwise prohibited area or to use a drone, you should indicate this in the descriptions of the photographs you upload.
- Adding coordinates is voluntary. If your camera offers the option to save the coordinates for the photos, please use this function. This allows the photos to be clearly assigned. If your camera does not offer this option, you can record your locations with your smartphone or a navigation device and add them later. Alternatively, you can estimate the approximate location on a map afterwards.
Upload: Photos can be uploaded for the competition from 1 June until 31 July 2023. It does not matter when the photos were taken.
- To upload the photo go to relevant list for protected areas in Leinster, Munster, Ulster and Connacht, find the site you have photographs of, and press the camera icon in the table. Using these buttons means the image is correctly categorised and others can easily find, reuse, and otherwise admire your work!
Done: Well done, you've taken part in Wiki Loves Earth 2023 in Ireland!
- Good luck, and remember you can upload as many eligible pictures as you like.
N.B.: All pictures have to be uploaded from the 1st June to 31st July 2023. You can also upload images that you may already have taken in the past, for example during one of your travels to the country, but you can upload them only during the indicated period.
We try to keep the competition clean and simple. There are only a few rules for photos to participate in Wiki Loves Earth Ireland. Let's quickly go through them.
Every submission should be:
- Self taken and self uploaded;
- Uploaded during the contest period (1st June to 31st July 2023>);
- During the upload process, you give permission with a CC BY-SA license to re-use the image;
- Represent a topic that don't violate personal privacy or copyright.
Next to that, there are a few practical rules:
- You should have an activated e-mail address on Wikimedia Commons (otherwise how do we contact you if you have won?);
- If the photo gets deleted for any reason, it is automatically disqualified from the competition;
- You are responsible for following the law while taking and uploading the photo.
Throughout June and July 2023, you may upload as many pictures (old or new) as you want, at the end of which a jury will evaluate the photographs and select the best 10 pictures of Ireland. The jury will then announce the winners in August 2023.
WLE 2022 winners
WLE 2021 winners
WLE 2020 winners
Our jury will process the images through three rounds in August 2023.
At the end of this process, the jury will determine the Top 10 images of Ireland, which will be sent to the international jury.
The jury will determine the winners of the contest by taking into consideration the following criteria (in no particular order):
- Technical quality (sharpness, use of light, perspective etc.);
- Usefulness of the image for Wikipedia.
Images that reach a top ranking of the final evaluation phase, will typically at least fulfil the technical criteria of the ‘Featured Image’ process at Wikimedia Commons. But feel free to submit many images, and let the jury be concerned if they are good enough.
- User:Smirkybec - Wikimedia Community Ireland Project Coordinator
- User:Sameichel - Wikimedia Community Ireland Chair
Total images uploaded so far in
Wiki Loves Earth Ireland 2023 for the Republic of Ireland
Total images uploaded so far in
Wiki Loves Earth Ireland 2023 for Northern Ireland